How to Make Data-Driven Decisions with Ecommerce Marketing
How to Make Data Driven
Decisions for eCommerce Marketing
● State of Search Marketing Industry
● What Are Paid Search Jobs Like?
● What Is the Difference Between PPC & SEO?
● Why is Google AdWords So Cool?
● Google Display Ads vs Google Search Ads
● What Is A Paid Search Strategy?
● What Is Optimization?
● New Cool Fun Stuff In The SEM Space
• eCommerce is growing
• Investment in online marketing is growing
• Paid search is the most invested online
• Google is the dominant leader in paid search
Learning AdWords is a pretty solid career
Getting A Job As A Search Marketer
Titles: Paid Search Analyst, PPC Coordinator, Search Engine Marketing
Manager, Director Online Acquisition Marketing
Agency vs In-House
Entry level: $30k - $40k
5 - 7 yrs experience: $100K - $130K
Paid Search Isn’t SEO
70% of Clicks
30% of Clicks
Product Listing Ads
Why not just do SEO and always get
“Oh, man, that was so much easier than putting.
I should just try to get the ball in one shot every time.”
A Word About Relevancy
“Everyone hates advertising in
general, but we love advertising in
Getting your message to just the right person
at just the right time is worth a lot of money
The big promise of internet marketing is
Why does Paid Search work so well?
location, devices, searches, languages, time
Advertise to those who have proven their
intent to purchase
Determine User Search Intent & Types of Searches
Use AdWords to prototype and test a book title
● Goal: use CTR to measure best book title
● 6 prospective titles 'Broadband and White
Sand', 'Millionaire Chameleon' and 'The 4-Hour
● Bid on keywords related to the book's content
including '401k' and 'language learning'
● for less than $200 he knew that "The 4-Hour
Workweek" had the best click-through rate by
Read This Stuff (via RSS feedly.com)
Purple Cow, Seth Godin
Long Tail, Chris Anderson
Web Analytics 2.0, Avinash Kaushik
Cognitive Surplus, Clay Shirky
So Good They Can’t Ignore You, Cal Newport
A Finish Line Coupon:
$10 Off Orders of $75 or More
Expires: March 31, 2014