Web Dev Philosophy
• Work out of respect for the design.
• Designers make our code as beautiful and
clever on the outside as it is on the inside.
• Respect the original design vision.
consistent design = clean code = fast site.
9 Best Practices
1. Create a component 5. Avoid non-standard
library of smart objects browser fonts.
2. Use consistent semantic 6. Use columns rather than
3. Design modules to be 7. Choose your bling
transparent on the carefully.
8. Be ﬂexible.
4. Optimize images and
sprites. 9. Learn to love grids.
Contour blocks Background blocks Content Objects -
headings, paragraphs, lists, headers,
footers, buttons, etc.
Capital of the Canterbury region and the largest city
on the South Island (population just over 300,000)
exudes a palpable air of gentility and a connectedness
with the mother country.
Making it look
Requires careful choice of pixels.
Bonus: Consider PNG8 for
Why is the AlphaImageLoader used?
IE6 and earlier don’t natively support alpha
transparency. This ﬁlter forces that support.
Problem with ﬁlters
• Blocks rendering, freezes the browser
• Increased memory consumption
• Per element, not per image!
1. BEST: avoid completely, use PNG8 which degrades gracefully in IE < 7
2. Fallback: use underscore hack so the ﬁlter is applied only to IE < 7