What is Twitter?
• A microblogging service, that allows millions of users to answer
the same question: “What are you doing right now?”
• Used to:
– Keep up with friends
– Organise social life
– Share interesting articles and web links
– Network with colleagues
• Each update (or tweet) is no more than 140 characters long and
can be to everyone, to a single user (@) or sent privately as a
Why does this all matter?
• Two reasons:
– Employer brand and reputation £1.75b
– Valuable new recruitment Online Ad Spend
channels (Overtaken TV!)
• Both of which are integral to
Attraction, Engagement and 62.6%
Recruitment Search Engine Marketing
• Not monitoring what’s going on,
leaves you vulnerable.
Recruitment (Biggest Sector!)
“A brand is what
people say about you
behind your back...”
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon
• Keeping up with the conversation and buzz about
your brand is vital
• If you don’t take part, you don’t know what’s being
said about you...
• Your responses become part of the wider
• If employees are making negative comments, then
what are the underlying issues?
What might you be missing?
“Every Day I Work At --------, I Die A Little Inside...”
“I used to work at --------- and now I have a life”
“Oh my god, they let absolutely any thick *!*£* in”
“I hate my Team Leader - so ------ ----- if u ever get to read
this - I HATE U!”
“I’m starting work here next week, I’m really worried
“I love my job, the people here are so nice!”
Rules to live by...
• Be honest and transparent
• Encourage your staff to engage appropriately
• Work on an Acceptable Use Policy
• Listen and learn ... then respond
• Engage with the issues causing any negative responses
• Celebrate the positive responses
New improved YOU! ™
• The evolution of the “personal brand”
• What you say, do, write and share online is all
linked back to you
• No longer have to rely on colleagues and
managers to help you build your network and
The CV is dead...long live the CV
• LinkedIn = The “Professional Facebook”
• Sites like LinkedIn, give candidates an instant portable CV for
• Some employers are already allowing candidates to enter their
LinkedIn URL instead of uploading a CV.
• They topped 1 million UK users last year and are showing
• Now offer both social and display advertising
Some practical homework...
• Make sure your careers site and
candidate experience is up to scratch
• Set up some buzz monitoring (it’s free!)
• Let others share your content
• Set up some analytics if you haven’t already
• Check the keywords people are using against what