How & what we track?
• blog/blog comments
• time tracking: toggl.com
• user actions:
• eclipse plug-in
• virtual machines
• logs from learning management systems
Jose Luis Santos; Sten Govaerts; KatrienVerbert; Erik Duval. Goal-oriented
visualizations of activity tracking: a case study with engineering
students. ACM Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference 2012.
J. L. Santos, K.Verbert, S.
Govaerts, and E. Duval.
Visualizing PLE Usage.
EFEPLE11: 1st Workshop
on Exploring the Fitness
and Evolvability of
Laclusaz, France, 30-31
Charleer, S., Klerkx, J., Santos Odriozola, J., Duval, E. (2013). Improving awareness and reﬂection
through collaborative, interactive visualizations of badges. ARTEL13: Proceedings of the 3rd
Workshop on Awareness and Reﬂection in Technology-Enhanced Learning, ARTEL13, 2013
Charleer, S., Klerkx, J., Duval, E. (2015). Exploring Inquiry-Based Learning Analytics
through Interactive Surfaces. VISLA: VISual Approaches to Learning Analytics.
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA, 17 March 2015.
Learning Analytics team
• Sven Charleer
• Erik Duval
• Sten Govaerts
• Joris Klerkx
• Gonzalo Parra
• Jose Luis Santos
• Katrien Verbert
• “Metadata principles and practicalities”, E. Duval, W. Hodgins, S.
Sutton, S.L. Weibel - D-lib Magazine, 2002.
• “Draft standard for learning object metadata”, IEEE Learning
Technology Standards Committee, 2002.
• “The Ariadne knowledge pool system”, E. Duval, E. Forte, K.
Cardinaels, B. Verhoeven… - Communications of the ACM, 2001.
• “Tracking actual usage: the attention metadata approach”, M.
Wolpers, J. Najjar, K. Verbert, E. Duval - Educational Technology &
• “Attention please!: learning analytics for visualization and
recommendation”, E. Duval - Proceedings of the 1st International
Conference on Learning Analytics, 2011
• “Learning analytics dashboard applications”, K. Verbert, E. Duval, J.
Klerkx, S. Govaerts, J.L. Santos - American Behavioral Scientist, 2013