This is the presentation I gave in Amsterdam at the Dutch Mobile Conference 2014.
Make sure you also look at the last two slides. There is a lot of quality material there you can read, plus a list of tools that will help your website become a speed champion. And remember: friends don't let friends have slow mobile websites!
More stuff to read
• A report on the Mobile Customer Experience(PDF)
• How Loading Time Affects Your Bottom Line
• Facebook pages that are 500ms slower result in a 3% drop-off in traffic (PDF)
• If Google increased page load by 500ms it would cost them 1.2% of their revenue
• Every 100ms of latency costs Amazon 1% of profit
• For Etsy, adding 160KB of images to a page increased bounce rate by 12% on mobile devices
• Steve Jobs: Improving the boot time on the Macintosh would save lives.
• Users spend a combined total of 61 years every single day watching the Gmail loading bar
• The Performance Golden Rule
• Google Warns Smartphone Searchers About Homepage Redirects
• GZIP is not enough!(video)
• What the web is made of(and many more stats)
• Clever JPEG Optimization Techniques
• Clever PNG Optimization Techniques
• Facebook tries Google's WebP image format; users squawk
• Animated WebP - how to convert animated GIF to WebP and save up to 90% bandwidth
• SVG Stacks
• Evaluating the Performance of SPDY-enabled Web Servers
• Better Responsive Images With the picture Element
• How to prioritize visible content
• Tailoring CSS for performance