6. Customer Development
• It’s all about learning and discovery
• Outlined by Steve Blank in Four Steps to the Epiphany
Discovery Validation Creation Company
7. Original Hypothesis for KISSinsights
“Our hypothesis is that product manager type people have a
problem doing fast/effective/frequent customer research.”
8. What we wanted to learn...
• What are they doing now?
• What are other tools leaving on the table?
• Who is involved?
• How frequent / severe is the pain?
• What else are customers complaining about?
9. How we learned
• ~20 phone interviews (15 - 20 minutes each)
• 3 in-person user tests with paper prototypes
• 2 landing pages
• Hacky MVP on KISSmetrics.com
• 8 “alpha testers”
10. What we learned!
• People are not doing customer research.
• They want private feedback and targeting.
• It requires developer involvement.
• It is a constant pain.
11. What we built.
• A freemium on-site customer feedback tool
• That involves an easy one-time install
• Which provides private customer feedback
• And easy to understand reporting.
14. Start with a Hypothesis
Our hypothesis is that product manager type
people have a problem doing effective customer research
Our hypothesis is that ________________________________
people have a problem doing _______________________