WHO AM I?
Steering Group Member
Open Knowledge Australia
Co-Secretary & Treasurer
AWS User Group
Delivering the world’s best
open data management system
The purpose of the CKAN Association is to
support sustainable growth and
development of CKAN while also protecting
the interests of the CKAN community.
The Association values a healthy and
thriving community which continues to
deliver the best open data management
system in the world.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Community interests, or needs, can be generalised as:
1. Users need an enterprise level open data management system tailored to meet their needs now and into
2. Individual contributors need a project that is rewarding to work for, inclusive and active.
Who owns or directly manages the CKAN project?
The project, its releases and future direction are cooperatively managed by its community of users and
contributors. Association delegates, staff and office holders may be active within the project but will exercise no
more or less influence than any other contributor or user.
More information about CKAN and how to contribute can be found at CKAN.org.
DELEGATION TO SERVE AND PROTECT
What is the current structure of
the CKAN Association?
The steering group carries on a number of
This includes raising revenue, managing
resources and directing projects or
programs of activity relevant to the CKAN
Association’s statement of purpose.
COMPLETENESS OF PURPOSE
1. Large installation base of significant platforms
2. Open Source projects favoured by technical influencers, driving adoption
3. Historical association with Open Knowledge adds significant ‘open’ credibility
4. Support via Open Knowledge opens direct and indirect funding support
5. Global awareness of CKAN due to many years in the market
6. CKAN Association is established with strong representatives from three continents
7. Established, experienced and professional technical team
8. Extension model allows for customisations
9. CKAN can be integrated with WordPress or Drupal
10. Free to use
11. A number of private companies now specialise in CKAN services
12. Public roadmap for future features
1. Current reliance on Open Knowledge funded contributors
2. Technical debt (python framework needs replacement)
3. Relatively* low activity on roadmap feature development
4. Community and Communications Team lacks resources
5. Technical team is relatively* small
6. Relatively* small number of private companies specialise in CKAN services
* Compare with projects with such significant adoption in enterprises
1. Partnerships within data and civic app sector
2. Many markets where CKAN is being considered
3. Markets are growing
4. CKAN is a technically interesting project for potential contributors
5. Attractive to internal technical teams within Government
6. Use case ‘distributions’ to meet new verticals
7. Use case extensions can increase the value of current installations
8. Regular update releases supporting a vendor community
9. Vendor community can grow awareness, demand and installations of CKAN
10. An effective communications effort can grow awareness of the project
11. A modified license would allow CKAN to be integrated with commercial applications
12. Revenue from formal membership tiers can fund business activities
13. In-kind contributions from formal membership can advance business activities
14. Domain specific working groups can align the project with various global activities and market segments
15. Ensuring broad interoperability to widen use cases and adoption within various solution
16. Direct alignment with OK initiatives, such as OpenSpending, for increasing the value of CKAN
1. Alternatives to CKAN could gain in popularity, degrading contributor interest
2. Project is overly reliant on support from Open Knowledge
3. Possibility of user churn out, degrading the user base
4. Supply of enterprise services fails to meet demand for services, killing adoption
5. Project could fork in too many directions if doesn’t evolve to meet user needs over the long term.
6. Contributors churn out, leaving the community without new contributors entering
STEVEN DE COSTA
Steering Group Member