Page 1 9/16/13
Applications for devices
Description Tips for integrating this application into the classroom
Animoto Students can create short videos that look professional in just
a few minutes.
Free with an option to upgrade.
• Have students create videos on the content they just
Other similar to Edmodo:
Schoology or My Big Campus
Keep your classroom network in the palm of your students
hands. Edmodo, Schoology & My Big Campus are Facebook
for the classroom except you can upload assignments and
communicate with students in a walled garden.
• When kids have access to your class outside the walls they
will engage more often.
• Students can review assignment due dates, content, engage
in discussion and so much more right from their phones
Evernote From notes to recordings, put it all into Evernote and watch as
it instantly synchronizes with other devices. Teach your
students a life long organizational skill by incorporating
• Evernote allows individuals to save audio, video and text and
sync with all devices (phone, computer and Tablet)
• Use to have students record daily exit tickets that they turn
in on Friday
• Allow students to take notes using Evernote
• Have groups audio record discussion in Evernote that can
Page 2 9/16/13
then be sent to you
Flashcards + Do you use Quizlet? If so this is an app that is linked. It
allows review of vocabulary words of any subject. Make your
own or use the library.
• Students are more likely to study their vocabulary if it’s on
• Students can check the terms they know and focus on their
• Similar other apps are available.
Google Drive This allows students to view, edit and create docs from their
device. If you class already uses Google Docs this is a must.
• Students can review notes, presentations and more right on
• No longer is there an excuse that they forgot their study
guide in their locker; it’s on their phone in Google Drive
Nearpod Already have Power Points you want to make interactive.
Nearpod could be for you. It allows you to upload interactive
elements between slides. Requires you to first upload your
Power Point to a PDF. Free webinars are available
• Take that basic it Power Point and have engaging check for
• Data can be saved and reports run at the end of a lesson
• Engagement includes poll questions, quizzes, drawing and
• Increased options are available if you want to upgrade
No app or Internet needed
Engage your students and check for understanding quickly and
easily. Do you already have some great Power Points? If so
just add a couple of Poll slides to keep those students on the
edge of their seats.
• Use as a daily exit ticket
• Store data collected
• Create open ended or closed ended questions that can be
embedded into any lesson
• Generate group discussion by posing an open ended question
No app or Internet needed
This is a safe way to send reminders and assignment due
dates to students. No phone numbers are exchanged.
• Safely send out quiz reminders
• Let kids know of a class change that affects what they
Page 3 9/16/13
by students bring to class
• Easy way to keep in touch with parents
Scan- QR Reader Easily scan barcodes and QR codes • Create a scavenger hunt for the students
• Utilize QR codes to make the normal vocabulary word bank
• Create QR’s to link to great videos (perhaps of one of your
• Use QR’s to quickly have kids access an assignment that is
in Google Docs
• Save Power Points to Google Slides and kids can scan it
with their phones to have presentations saved to study
Socrative Mimio response system on steroids. Socrative allows
participants to respond via any device.
• Set up traditional quizzes
• Have open ended discussion where every student has equal
opportunity to respond
• Collect data and it is stored in a spreadsheet
• Take class polls
• Allows students to receive immediate feedback
• Games are available
Stopwatch & Timer Time everything from speeches to wall sits. Utilize to keep
kids on task and in control of their learning
• Utilize in practicing speeches
• During group sharing time give each member one minute so
there is equal opportunity to share
• Use as a timer in experiments in science
• Utilize for circuit training in PE
Page 4 9/16/13
Other options with most devices
Tool Tips for integrating this into the classroom
Video • Have kids video anything from explaining a learned concept to interviewing an expert
Calendar • Teach kids to be organized by using the built calendar in their phones
• Kids can set alerts of quiz dates
Camera • Take pictures of anything to share with their parents, community members and more
• Utilize the camera to have kids take pictures of the assignments on the white board
• Have kids take pictures of correct examples to use as homework reference
Calculator • Use as a simple calculator for basic math
Students are going to cheat • Cheating happened before cell phones were invented. So kids might, but they might not. If it happens deal
with the cheating as it’s own issue. If they cheat out find out why they are cheating and what we can do to
teach the concept they don’t understand.
Timer Plus Clean, simple and reliable. Perfect for every timing situation
(sports, games, work and of course cooking).
• Use with any timed activity
• Create timers for any length with a variety of bell sounds.
• This is a great tool for teachers
Page 5 9/16/13
Students can’t get through barracuda to load
• Give students a list of apps that you hope to use in your classroom and have them install them at home
• Perhaps give them pages 1 to 3 above
Students will be on inappropriate sites • Set a precedent that using technology is a privilege and if it is used inappropriately the privilege is lost.
Students know more than I do about the
• That is ok. Use the students with expertise to teach you.
Students will use their devices to cyber bully or
• Yes this is a possibility. If you are worried about digital citizenship talk with your counselors or bring in the
TIS team to do some training to your students.
Tool Cost Description
Air server $14.99 • Beam your iPad or iPhone screen to HDMI or VGA projector, smartboard or HDTV
via Mac or PC
Reflector $12.99 • Mirror iPod, iPad, iPhone to your Mac
Apple TV $99.00+ • Play your iPod, iPad, iPhone through your Apple TV
• Androids can work with apps installed
Free Online Course on BYOD http://modernlessons.com/course/launching-a-byod-program-before-you-start/