Fraser High School
Image Sources: http://www.healthcarehistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Twitter.png
Purpose of Today
• To demonstrate ways to connect educators from
around the district, state, country, and world by
sharing best practices and learning new ideas
I found the one tool that
will change education!!!
TEACHER IN BIRMINGHAM, AL
“THE TELEPHONE SYSTEM REQUIRED US TO MEMORIZE STRINGS OF
NUMBERS IF WE WANTED TO TALK TO OUR FRIENDS, SO WE DID.”
“WE MEMORIZED THE PHONE NUMBERS WHEN WE HAD TO, BUT WE
NEVER LIKED MEMORIZING THOSE NUMBERS AND WE WERE NEVER
VERY GOOD AT IT. WE DID IT BECAUSE IT WAS A REQUIREMENT FOR
OTHER THINGS WE DID LIKE, SUCH AS TALKING WITH OUR
THESE OPPORTUNITIES ARE “ENABLED BY TECHNOLOGY BUT
CREATED BY HUMAN BEINGS”.
- CLAY SHIRKY Cognitive Surplus (110)
• Ultimate PD
• Opportunity to Share
• Connect with people who share the same common
• A new way to collaborate: stop closing your door!
what is twitter?
• Information Network
• Connects to latest stories, ideas, and opinions based on
• 140 character micro blog
• The people speak before the media and create a loud
• See what is happening in real time
who is on twitter?
• Justin Beiber - 38.5 million
• Lady Gaga - 36.5 million
• Barack Obama - 31 million
• Kim Kardashian - 17.8 million
• Kourtney Kardashian - 8.7
million followersSource: www.twittercounter.com
Image Source: http://www.mikemccready.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/3428525318_0729579705.jpg
but what about the educators?but what about the educators?
• Educators are connecting with each other around the globe:
• Sharing Lessons
• Foster your own personalized learning
• Discussing hot topics in real time
• Classroom Use
mrs. Miller’s pbl Kindergarten
• Reading books, Mrs. Miller created a student-led inquiry
project based on classroom themes: kindness and spreading
• Students questioned,“How can we make a difference?”
• Raised Money Through A Read-A-Thon to donate a goat
QuickTime™ and a
are needed to see this picture.
Kindergarten Inquiry Project
CONTINUE TO BUILDYOUR
• Making Tech Work For Teachers
• Three Wonderful TED ED TALKS
• What It Takes To Become A Project Based School
Using Twitter in the classroom
• Create your own class Hashtag!!! (ex: #StanleyBlock3)
• Gathering Data
• Parent Involvement
• Summary of what was learned (exit slip)
• Talk to the experts
• Argumentation with sources
the power of the hashtag
Image Source: http://rlv.zcache.com/twitter_number_sign_shirt-rc362e85a20c74b9a86810bbf8d7ab376_804gs_512.jpg
Image Source: https://dev.twitter.com/sites/default/files/images_media/worldseries.jpg
Image Source: https://dev.twitter.com/sites/default/files/images_media/thevoice_hashtag.jpg
now you go!
• Type in the following in your search function: #edchat,
#mathchat, #sschat, #miched, #scichat, #atplc, #rechat
• What do you see?
Image Source: http://cybraryman.com/images/edchat.jpg
hashtags create topics and chats
• #EdChat (Every Tuesday @ 7PM)
• #MichEd (Every Wednesday @ 8PM)
• #EngChat, #SciChat, #MathChat, #SSChat
• The Hashtag is available at all times but only use it when it
relates to this topic.
When to use TWITTER?
• Whenever something AMAZING is happening in your
• We need to share and learn from each other!!!
• Let the community be aware of what you’re doing!
• We need to be cheerleaders for what we do!
• Sign on to Twitter and Check it out this summer!
• Start off by following your interests