Junior high school Alexandria- Greece
Students: Spyros L., Vaggelis M., Konstantina P., Giannis M., Demetra K.
Maria P. , Steven M. Persefoni Mp. , Helen Ts., , Hara St.,
Helen k. , Magda S., Afroditi Ts. , Alexandra Fl.
Alexandria is an agricultural town in the center of a plain near river
Aliakmonas (this place in the past was called Rumlouki which
means Greek land Romiotopos-ellinotopos).
It is located in the prefecture of Imathia in central Macedonia.
The town of of Alexandria is about 52 Km from Thessaloniki, 21
km from Veroia the capital of imathia and about 20 km from
vergina. Vergina is situated close to the site of ancient Aigai
(latined as Aegae) , once the royal capital of ancient Macedonia
Alexandria was liberated from the Turks on the 18th October of
1912. Alexandria’s older popular Greek name was Gidas. Gidas
was formally annexed to Greece on the 28th July of 1913 by the
treaty of Burchrest. There are different versions concerning the
original name of Alexandria. The first version states that it
originates from the Turkish word gida ( food). According to local
researchers, the name dates back to the Byzantine period and
means "Land Road". In 1953 it took the name Alexandria in honor
of Alexander the Great.
There are a lot of buildings in Alexandria: 2 nursery schools, 7
kindergartens 7 primary schools, 6 schools of secondary education
from which 2 are for technical education, one school for special
education, a Town Hall, churches, a police station, 7 banks, a train
stadium, a municipal library, choir center, a swimming center,
cultural center, a stadium, 2 gyms, one hotel, one amphitheatre,
restaurants, cafeterias, supermarkets and a lot of shops.
Most of the families who live in Alexandria live in blocks of flats.
However, many inhabitants still live in houses.
At the premises of the
choir center in Alexandria
adults and children can
attend lessons, practice
and prepare for concerts
all around Greece, even
Graffiti of our town
Church dedicated to Virgin Mary’s Assumption
The central church is dedicated to Virgin Mary. It’s a beautiful
church with great pictures depicting Saints, Virgin Mary , Christ.
The swimming pool, the
small amphitheater and
sport fields (including tennis
courts, basketball courts
and skateboard place).
Konaki is the building where
the Turkish Bey used as
Headquarters of the region. It
was built in 1904 beside the
old Konaki which was depicted
in a map of the Turkish period.
The last Turkish owner of
Konaki was Isin – Bey who
lived in Istanbul before.
A river that runs near Alexandria is Aliakmon. Aliakmon is the
longest river in Greece
Traditional music instruments of
The Greek tambour “daouli“
The Greek clarinet “zournas“
The traditional dressing
The traditional dress is considered to be one of the oldest in the
Greece The male costume does not have any peculiarity contrary
to that of woman.
The dominant element of the female dress is a headband called
katsouli. It consists of three handkerchiefs, and represents and
According to the tradition Great Alexander admired the local
women about the courage and heroism that they showed in a
battle in which men showed cowardice. He ordered thus women to
wear men’s helmet, which as time went by became a part of their
The idea of a choral group was
imported to the little town of
Alexandria in 1987.
The first director of the choir was
Gregoris Savvopulos. Likely the idea
grew up and nowadays there is a
Municipality Choral Center, witch is
supporting two choirs. First the
young- children’s, female choir “Melissanthi” and the mixed
adults’ choir “Alexadrian Voices”. Eleni Theodoridou is the choirs’
main director, Kostas Pantelidis accompanies at the piano and
Gregoris Savvopoulos is the art director.
The choir participated in many concerts in 2010 in Istanbul, in
2009 in Wernigerode,in 2008 in Graz, Austria . This year we are
preparing for a trip to Italy.