small business HR
Compiled by the folks at staffsquared.com
What questions should a manager ask during an interview?
• Actions speak louder than words - ask a candidate to perform tasks
and watch how they perform rather than spending hours talking
• Look for four things: Passion, effectiveness, horsepower, cultural fit
Request examples of what they do outside of work that helps them
stay on top of their particular skillset and industry
• Ask the candidate to educate you on a topic that they’re passionate
about. You will quickly learn whether they can communicate clearly
and this is a great conversation starter
What is the biggest HR challenge for businesses?
Finding and keeping talent - you don’t know what you’ve got until
• Employee’s personal issues
Managing limited resources and budget
Getting to know and then developing a team
• Hiring and firing people
What are the best ways to manage a remote worker?
• Introduce them to the team at the outset
• Communicate the values and culture of the company clearly
Create places where knowledge can be written down and easily
shared. An online wiki is ideal for this
• Hold regular catch up meetings (once a week is ideal)
• Take advantage of technology to overcome communication and
How do you help an under-performing member of staff?
• Thoroughly review their role, tools, motivations and what is
expected of them to search for clues as to the cause of their lack
• Think about any potential issues outside of work that could be
causing problems in work
Have you got the right person doing the wrong job?
• Engage with the member of staff and ask them probing questions
about their understanding of the job you’re asking of them. Perhaps
you haven’t clearly communicated your requirements?
What are the best ways to manage creative employees?
• Make sure you show respect for their craft, and in return they will
respect your management
• Set deadlines for work so as not to fall foul of Parkinson’s law (work
expands to fill the time available for its completion)
Give creative people the right space and equipment that they need
to do their job
• If possible be flexible on when your employees work, inspiration
isn’t generally confined to the hours between 9am and 5pm
How do you manage people that have a unique skillset?
• Give them the opportunity to explain the what, how and why of
what they do
• Demonstrate pride in your contribution to the team, and the
employees will do the same in return
Clearly communicate your company objectives
• Try not to over supervise, and instead let employees report back to
you in a structured manner
How do you fire an employee?
Act quickly - if you need to take affirmative action don’t drag the
• Prepare - what are you going to say? Why are you saying it?
Think about how the employee will react and have answers to their
questions or reactions prepared
Remove access to business critical systems if you feel the employee
might seek ways to take revenge
Put together a package that makes it easy for the employee to leave
• Stay firm but friendly, avoid making emotional statements
Let us help
Staff Squared is HR software for busy business
people. We make managing your employees
UK Freephone: +44 (0) 800 033 7569
US Freephone: +1 (855) 642-1069
Go online: www.staffsquared.com