6 Keys to Improving Sales
Vice President of Cloud Enablement
A Little About Me
• Technology Entrepreneur
• Former SVP and CSO at HostMySite
• Former SVP and CSO at
• @ Cbeyond – have built the cloud
sales team, sales engineering and
currently building cloud
• Vice President of Sales for 3
different Inc 500 Companies.
State of Cloud and Hosting Sales
• Sales are great, but sales teams are not.
• Most companies excel in marketing and
automation, but frankly aren't good at
• A quality sales team can be one of your
most effective tools in competing with
AWS, Azure and Google.
• As legacy companies (like IBM, Verizon &
CSC) continue to enter our market, sales
competencies will become more
• Large companies are more responsive to
sales, which has slowed their adoption to
IaaS and Managed Hosting.
#1 Get Addicted to Data and Metrics
• Start with a good SFA.
• Add a proposal generator, with e-
• Require activity logging for
• Manage to metrics, but the ultimate
measure is results.
• During ramp, people need to show
they are doing the right things - until
they get the right results.
#2 - Hire Sales Reps That Fit Your
• Define your system or it will
• Great reps from one company
may not be successful in
• Pre-employment testing for fit.
• Benchmark psychometrics on
normative industry data and
your top performers for best
• Admit mistakes fast.
• One size (or management style)
does not fit all.
#3 - Pay Well & Pay for Results
• Hunters should make more than
• Sales isn’t just for sales reps –
incentivize support for
producing leads or upsells.
• High risk, high reward.
• Incentivize over-performance
• Compensation includes a lot
more than just pay.
• Keep bases low and commission
#4 – Sell Different Ways
• High preforming companies sell –
direct, indirect and referral.
• Reps should include Channel
Managers, Inside and Outside.
• Packaging can make a big difference.
• Help your partners sell.
• Automate and integrate to scale.
• Find a way to say YES!
• Alignment between
sales, marketing, operations and
product is critical (this is not an issue
when you are small)
"The best way to have a
good idea is to have a lot
Linus Carl Pauling, 2x
Nobel Prize winner
#5 - Celebrate Success
• Culture is as important as
• Sales people are
competitive, keep score.
• Great teams produce better
results than great
individuals, incent teamwork.
• Have Fun!
#6 – Consistency is Key
• Change is needed to improve, it
needs to be thoughtfully
implemented to be successful.
• Constant tweaking to
commission plans, can lead to a
• Stability in accounts and quotas
lead to better results.
• Involve the team in creating the
• Also extends to training and on-
boarding. You need to create
sales rep factory.
Questions / Contact Info
Vice President – Cbeyond
Blog - http://www.thewhir.com/blog/profile/stacygriggs
Every one needs to buy, but no one wants to be sold.
Adding electronic signature at HMS improved close rate and reduced TTC by over 30%Monthly plan with each rep to determine how they will hit their goal – Hope is not a strategy.
Rackspace reps don’t fit the CBEY system (sell as the incumbent and inbound oriented)You should learn from mistakes as wellExample Enterprise(Oracle) SW reps.
Make sure targets are achievable.
Chance favors the prepared mind – Louis Pasture
Old African saying - if you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go with others.Example when I got to Max we fired the top rep the first week, he was not a fit in a team culture – sales increased almost immediately.