Software Testing Project:
Testing csmap program
csmap - Conservation Score Mapper
● Mapping the given range of a sequence to
conservation scores of a chromosome.
● It used mmap, indexing and bisect module
for accessing data fastly.
● However, to determine which sites are on
the segments is complicated and error-
● For display of dense, continuous data such
as GC percent, probability scores, and
● The conservation score is calculated with
whole genome multiple sequence
● Segmented of many continuous data
Wiggle Track Format (WIG)
It moves the pointer to some other
part of the file so you can read or
write at that place.
e.g. seek(0) will move the pointer to
the beginning of file.
● Unit testing
○ Built-in unittest module (PyUnit)
○ Generation of test cases
● Coverage testing
● Mutation testing
● Testing a class or individual function.
● Comparison of expected value and return
unittest Module (PyUnit)
1. The test runner will
run that method prior
to each test.
2. The test runner will
invoke that method
after each test.
● coverage.py (http://nedbatchelder.com/code/coverage/)
○ It monitors your program, noting which parts of the
code have been executed, then analyzes the source
to identify code that could have been executed but
● It involves modifying a program's source
code in small ways.
● Mutations are based on well-defined
mutation operators (such as using the wrong
operator or variable name).
● It helps developers locate weaknesses in the
test cases used for the program.
● Unit testing, coverage testing and mutation
testing were used in this study, and a bug
revealed under testing.
● The results of coverage testing and mutation
testing indicated that test cases were
insufficient or some of codes was