FOOD AS MEDICINE:
SUPER CHICKEN SOUP
Kevin KF Ng, MD, PhD.
Former Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Clinical Pharmacology
University of Miami, Miami, FL.,USA
A Slide Presentation for HealthCare Providers Mar 2023
The new chicken soup based on modern science
▪ Chicken soup is consumed in almost every country of the world.
▪ There are myriads of recipes available on the internet. The ingredients are usually
a combination of chicken meat with vegetables. Flavor enhancers are optional
▪ The nutritional value of chicken soup is due to the complete protein and its amino
acids in the chicken meat.
▪ The medicinal value is due to the anti-inflammatory amino acids and anti-
inflammatory phytochemicals in the vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices.
▪ These phytochemicals are now known to be beneficial for health and at times of
▪ Based on the pharmacological properties of the phytochemicals in vegetables and
spices, I have improved the recipe my family inherited from our ancestors Shitake
mushroom is added to enhance flavor and boost immune function.
Direction of Cooking
▪ Boil 3 cups of water.
▪ Cut chicken 8 oz, onions 4 oz, garlics 2 oz, ginger 1
oz and mushrooms 4 oz into slices.
▪ Add all ingredients into boiling water for 15 minutes
▪ Stir the mixture intermittently.
▪ Add salt and pepper to taste or 1 bouillon cube.