• These are truck cranes that have a self contained telescoping
• Telescoping boom contains a number of tubes fitted one
• Can travel on public highways.
• Once the crane is leveled at the new worksite it is ready to
work without setup delays.
• If job require crane utilization for few hours to a couple of
days, telescopic crane should be given first consideration
because of it’s ease of movement.
Concept in cranes
• In cranes, the force A is the load to be lifted.
• Force B is the force applied i.e. counterweight.
(counterweight also contains fixed pulley block on which the cable is wrapped)
• The pulley system delivers a force to the load that is equal to the applied force multiplied by
the length of cable (boom) between the load lifted and counterweight.
• This is known as Mechanical advantage.
• So we can say that, load lifting capacity of any crane depends on the length of the boom.
Operation cycle timing
• Boom Raising : 27 sec.
• Boom Lowering : 20 sec.
• Telescopic In : 8 sec.
• Telescopic Out : 14 sec.
• Hoist Line Speed : 52 m/min.
• Steering : 7 sec.
Before using or buying an equipment owner should answer two question??
1- how much does it cost to operate the machine on a project ?
2- what is the optimum economic life and the optimum manner to secure a machine ?
The reason to purchase an equipment maybe to generate profit .
• Upon deciding there are two costs associated the construction equipment
• ownership cost
• Operation cost
• Generally know as O&O costs
• Suppose $90/hr and a production of 300 tons/hr so production cost would be $90/h/300 tons /hr
Telescopic crane costs 325000 USD
service life is 15 years
Per hour ownership cost = 2.471 USD
each year it should work= 2500 hours
Yearly ownership= 2166.32 USD
Monthly: 6500 USD
Weekly: 2500 USD
Daily : 695 USD
Rental Duration Rates Hours Rental Rate $/hr Operating hours Break
even 2166.32 point
Operating hour break
Monthly 6500 216 30 72 -
Weekly 2500 83 30 72 216
Daily 695 23 30 72 216
• Purchase expense
• salvage value
• tax saving from depreciation
• Major repairs and overhauls
• property taxes
• Storage and miscellaneous
• Lubricant, filters and grease
• Replacement of high-wear items