Explore the impact of digital technologies on your selected industry.
...this question could be considered as similar to...
How important is the internet to your selected industry?
This is mainly a Marketing & Promotion question – particularly as This is England
doesn’t have any CGI effects to write about!
Things to write about...
• Official websites (including Shane Meadows) – analyse the feel of the websites
• Marketing campaigns (virals, teasers etc)
• Official trailers and where they can be found
• Discussion boards/Forums
• Google images
• Music and other links (think iTunes store etc)
• Fan sites and social networking
• Global reach – in some countries this was released for downloading without cinema release.
Things to consider...
The marketing for this film was very limited because of the small budget – which means that
there was only one trailer and one poster. The website(s) in this case will have taken on added
significance – make sure you analyse the website thoroughly! The use of images, iconography,
the music – the overall feel of the website that generates the feel of the movie and sets up
the audiences expectations – this can all be done very thoroughly!
Look for the film’s life beyond official websites – for example how is the film represented on
social networking websites (the movie was released before people were using Twitter!), also
look at discussion boards on sites like the IMDB – would these have helped market the film?
How did Channel 4 use YouTube to promote the spin off series This is England ‘86?