Educación Básica Superior
Segundo Quimestre - Tercer Parcial
TEACHER: Mauricio Torres
SUBJECT: Social Studies
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: Read the instructions below before starting the activity.
Read the instructions carefully.
Do this at home, and use a printer to present your papers.
Use the internet as a source. Do some research if required.
NEWS REPORT PORTFOLIO
Analyze: Follow the instructions below in order to complete the task:
1. Start reading Al-Jazeera on the web (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/) every day.
2. Every Sunday, pick a news report from the previous week, the one which you thought was more interesting.
The criteria for the news event you will bring are the following:
a) Politics, current events, world affairs, Syrian Civil War, Iranian Nuclear Issues, Arab Spring,
Turkish revolts and protests, Egyptian Crisis, Israeli-Palestinian crisis, terrorism, Al-Qaeda,
religious or sectarian conflicts.
3. Print it, and write and introductory paragraph. Bring it to school on Monday (do this every week until the end
of the partial – three weeks).
a) The introductory paragraph must be written in Times New Roman, size 12, above the new report.
b) Do not include pictures, maps or any kind of graphics. TEXT ONLY!
Organize: At the end of the partial, you will bring a folder with all the news reports. Their grades will be added
in order to achieve a final grade. 3 points per each report, one point for a complete portfolio. This grade, along
with the journals, will be part of the Homework criteria. This folder must include the following:
1. This page as a cover, with your name on it. Without it, the portfolio will not be graded (1 point).
2. Three news reports, with their introductory paragraph each (3 points each).
Remember! It is important that you read the news in order to be able to participate in class. The news discussed in
class, will be part of the partial's block test!