Educación Básica Superior
Segundo Quimestre - Primer Parcial
TEACHER: Mauricio Torres
SUBJECT: Social Studies
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: Read the instructions below before starting the activity.
You must write down a whole page, without skipping a line.
NO COPYING ALLOWED! This is free writing. You have to use your own imagination and
knowledge to write each entry. If there are signs of plagiarism, you will immediately get a
ZERO, without any appeals.
Do some research on each subject and in some cases you may be surprised to find interesting facts.
Use them to make your journal entry more vivid. Also read the search tips to have a better idea of
what you may look for.
Remember that the journal counts as double homework when it is graded!
JOURNAL ENTRIES – 10TH EBG
Write: Write a journal entry for each one of the following topics. They should be turned in on December 13th:
Narrate a story to your grandkids: The siege of Vienna (croissants)
1. Imagine you are an Austrian man, who lived around the time when the Ottomans tried to invade Vienna. Tell
this story along with how the croissants were invented. Research if you must!
Zionism: Theodor Hertzl
1. You are Theodor Hertzl (if you don’t know who he is, research). Imagine yourself convincing a fellow Jew,
through a letter to create a Jewish state in Palestine with you. How do you convince him?
Migrating to Ecuador: Turks?
1. You have just arrived to Ecuador, by boat on the year 1910. You have traveled all the way from Lebanon and
you and your family are tired. The customs office says you are “Turkish” while in reality, you are a Christian
from Lebanon. How do explain this confusion?
1. Read about this man. Also watch a movie about him, called Lawrence of Arabia. It won the Oscar for best
movie in the 60s. Does the movie portray him accurately? Explain
Lawrence of Arabia
1. Watch the movie! Describe the best scene from the movie, according to your own opinion.