SOLAR POWER GENERATION
(RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCE)
•The energy that is produced from sun is known as solar
•The Sun’s energy comes from nuclear fusion reaction
that takes place deep in the sun, where hydrogen nucleus
fuse into helium nucleus.
•When such a reaction takes place then tremendous
amount of energy is produced which is escaped into the
HOW MUCH SOLAR ENERGY REACHES EARTH?
About 51% of sun’s energy is absorbed by earth’s
atmosphere, some part is absorbed by earth’s surface and rest
is reflected back to space.
TYPES OF TECHNOLOGIES IN SOLAR
There are two types of technologies in generating power
through solar energy,
1. Solar Photovoltaic Technology
(a)Ground mounted solar photovoltaic system
(b)Space based solar photovoltaic system
2.Floating solar chimney technology
SOLAR PHOTOVOLTAIC TECHNOLOGY:
Working of solar Photovoltaic cell:
1. Solar energy is free although there is a cost in the building of
‘collectors’ and other equipment required to convert solar energy into
electricity or hot water.
2. Solar energy does not cause pollution. However, solar collectors and
other associated equipment / machines are manufactured in factories that
in turn cause some pollution.
3. Solar energy can be used in remote areas where it is too expensive to
extend the electricity power grid.
4. Many everyday items such as calculators and other low power
consuming devices can be powered by solar energy effectively.
5. It is estimated that the world’s oil reserves will last for 30 to 40 years.
On the other hand, solar energy is infinite (forever).
1. Solar energy can only be harnessed when it is daytime and sunny.
2. Solar collectors, panels and cells are relatively expensive to
manufacture although prices are falling rapidly.
3. In countries such as the UK, the unreliable climate means that solar
energy is also unreliable as a source of energy. Cloudy skies reduce its
4. Large areas of land are required to capture the suns energy. Collectors
are usually arranged together especially when electricity is to be
produced and used in the same location.
5.To Built Solar Power plant the cost expenses are too high.
As the technology has advanced, we now have started making use
of electric vehicles too. Such vehicles have started becoming
readily available and are operated using battery technology as
well as solar energy. Their costs are now dropping and such
vehicles are becoming readily available to the masses. Electric
vehicles have a wonderful future for sure as they do not pollute
the environment. They are also cheap in their usage.
Use of solar energy is efficient in nature as it is a renewable
energy source. By using such type of energies to generate and
environment can be protected from global warming. Solar
energy right now is minimal and does not make enough
difference to justify the costs, in the future it probably has the
greatest amount of potential because it does not have to be
manually produced, extracted or burned. And it can also be used
in outer space.