Be the first to like this
None of the Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) / Business Intelligence products, available in the market today use non numeric's as values or measures. With numeric's as measures it is very easy to do a rollup when viewing the measures for two dimensions. The numbers are just added up to the higher level in the multi dimensional view. The complexity arises during the non numeric measure rollup. As a user starts drilling up/down on either of the two dimensions, it becomes a complex task to display measures in a multi dimensional view. Another limitation with the current OLAP/BI products in the market is that the measures cannot have any attributes associated with them. If we treat measures also as a dimension, we can have n number of attributes tied to each measure and also use measures as a dimension.
What is needed is a web based, thin client solution which can
- handle non numeric measures and perform rollup of these measures for the multi dimensional view.
- have attributes to measures and treat measures as a dimension.
- able to present all the dimensions as measures/values.
- link a measure to another dimension.
- web based data collection and viewing
The core idea is to have non numeric measures in a multi dimensional conceptual view of data. Treating measure as a dimension will give the flexibility to have other dimensions as values. This will give the capability to view multidimensional data, including full support for hierarchies and multiple hierarchies. Flexible reporting allows dimensions to be presented in any way the user requires in reports.
- Non Numeric measures
- Measures as dimensions
- Attributes to Dimensions (including measures)