1. Short Written Round2. 25 Questions Clockwise Infinite Bounce3. 25 Questions Anticlockwise Infinite Bounce4. THEME ROUNDOh, and by the way, Quizmasters decision is final on this day! :D
5 questions, all to be written down.5 Points per correct answer.If a team gets all 5 right, then they receive a bonus of 5 more points.Maximum points available from this round is 30
1. This show has been nominated for an Emmy award five times, in the category “Outstanding Achievement in Animation”. The show mainly takes place in the fictional city of Townsville, USA. The city has a mayor who owns a hotline and has a secretary who’s face cannot be seen. Which show?
2. Vincent Kennedy M. founded this company in 1980 and it was called Titan Sports. In 1982 it acquired Capitol Corp. from his own father and finally this company was formed. The company lost a lawsuit to another organization and had to change its name to its present one in 2002. Which company?
3. It is known as raqs sharqi in Arabic, but its English name is attributed to Sol Bloom, entertainment director at the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair. It is a popular form of exercise and entertainment today, with many different styles of the dance. Identify this style of dance which is the literal translation of the French term ‘Danse du Ventre’
4. Filmfare Award 2005 – Best Playback Singer MTV Lycra Award 2006 – Best Music Style Icon Koffee with Karan Best Debutant Award in 2007 Nominated for Best Male Debutant Actor by Filmfare in 2008. Accolades not exhaustive, who?
5. Where did we find ‘cheats’ called : Taak Jhaak, Bachao and Copy?
CLOCKWISE INFINITE BOUNCE25 Questions in TotalFlat scoring of 10 on every question, whether it’s a direct or a pass.If a question goes unanswered, the same team gets the following question, indefinitely.
Five Titles :The Loss of FriendsGaining FriendsCrows and OwlsLoss of GainsIll-considered action / Rash deedsCONNECT.
Rodrigo Moya took some black-and-white pictures in 1976 but had kept them secret. Much later he broke his silence in a tongue-in- cheek account of the night in a face to face interview in Mexico City at a city hotel, entitled “The Horrific Story of the ____ _____”. Of what does this story cover plausible versions of?
Bust-up between Marquez &Llosa due to which they were not on speaking terms for thirty years
3. What am I talking about?Motive 1 : Caused by a ghost out for revenge, rather than Mahatma Gandhi.Motive 2 : Protection of younger sister, who killed a man who attempted to rape her, with a rapist’s gun.Motive 3 : Larry Page wanted to travel to India to get married, only to discover that he has been scammed.Motive 4 : Desire to marry sister of the deceased.Motive 5 : Recovery of an Idol.Motive 6 : Problems caused by victim being alive.
Probable motives of thecharacters in Vikas Swarup’s book ‘Six Suspects’
4. Who by Whom?(Half points going, if no team gets both answers correct)
5. We first heard Sandeep Vinayak Prabhu on November 3rd 2006 till 26th Jaunary 2007, a total of 86 days. Then we heard him from 17th August 2008 for another 98 days. After that he was heard on 26th December 2009 for another 84 days. And the last we heard of him was from October 3rd 2010 for another 96 days. Where did we hear him?
6. The 1979 documentary, Best Boy by Ira Wohl won the Oscar for Best documentary. What is the India connection to this Oscar winning film?
The Oscar was awarded by Persis Khambatta, making her the first Indian citizen to present an Oscar.
7. The first instance of this featured American trumpeter Al Hirt and the Marching Bands from the University of Arizona and Grambling State University on January 15th, 1967. What am I talking about?
9. The Hank McCune Show was an American sitcom. NBC placed it on its national primetime schedule at the start of the 1950-51 season.McCune portrayed a television variety show host named after himself, and each week the character managed to blunder his way into a variety of comic predicaments.What first did this show do?
Cast of GLEESongs – Friday ( Rebecca Black ) and Dancing Queen ( ABBA )
12. This Hollywood movie is, as of 2011, the highest non-English grossing film ever. Fr. William J. Fulco, a professor of ancient Mediterranean studies at Loyola Marymount University translated the original English script into the actual languages used in the film. Which film?
13. Founded in Cincinnati on November 1, 1894, by William H. Donaldson and James H. Hennegan. Originally titled ______ Advertising it was a trade paper for the bill posting industry. Within a few years of its founding, it began to carry news of outdoor amusements. Widely known today for one 1936 innovation, it began coverage of motion pictures in 1909 and of radio in the 1920s. What?
15. It is said that this book was written to educate a young king who was illiterate in the principles of justice. 198 pages of the 200 pages of this document with hand painted illustrations with explanations, neatly calligraphed with ornate Persian in verse are in the British Museum. Only two pages are preserved in the Calico Textile Museum in Ahmedabad. Which book?
15. Deodayal Mehra loved a Hindi play called ‘Vir Balak’ so much that he watched it umpteen times. He had two sons whom he named after the 2 brothers in the play. The elder son’s name was Sona. Mehra later named his company after the name of the younger son. Satyajit Ray later designed their logo. Which company?
16. Google Doodle commemorating which musical composer? He was on the ‘Time’ magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people of the century.
Igor StravinskyThe Firebird, The Rite of Spring are his famous compositions
17. He is a communications professor at University of Southern California. In 2005, after he agreed to work on a project, X handed over an initial list of 30 which, he felt, had “a Polynesian flavor”. That gave him “a sense of what kinds of sounds X had in mind”. He developed three different sets among which X chose the one with ejectives. After deciding the phonology, he had to look into morphology, syntax and expansion of the initial list.What did this person on the right create?
He is Paul Frommer, famous for creating the Na’vi language. X was James Cameron.
18. Who are they? Why are they dressed like this? (No Half points PLEASE!)
Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg, producer andDirector of Tin Tin, dressed as Thomson and Thompson!
19.. Stunt man Bob Simmons played the role in the first one in 1962. There have been several variants of this sequence regarding attire, posture, the sound, the color etc. The early sequences showed in a suit and tie, until 1977, which from then on showed a dinner jacket and bow tie. However, the latest two sequences feature an open- necked shirt and business suit respectively.
20. Nominated for best editing for the Oscars in Fargo and No Country for Old Men, Roderick Jaynes never ended up winning the awards. But, if he did actually win the award, the directors of the film would collect the awar, since Jaynes was never present at the ceremony.Why?
Roderick Jaynes is alias for Coen Bros underwhich they take the editing credits.
21. This is a 1938 novel by English writer Evelyn Waugh, a satire of sensationalist journalism and foreign correspondence.What is the one-word title of the novel, a common term in journalism?
24. Eugene Delacroix’s ‘Liberty Leading the people’ features on the cover of a particular group’s album. The name of the album is actually a painting by Frida Kahlo. Which album by which group?
25. Who writing about himself ? He weeps by the side of the ocean, He weeps on the top of the hill; He purchases pancakes and lotion, And chocolate shrimps from the mill. He reads, but he cannot speak, Spanish, He cannot abide ginger beer: Ere the days of his pilgrimage vanish, How pleasant to know __ ____!
26.They are spoken of in Ibn Ishaqs biography of Prophet Muhammad, the Sirat Rasul Allah, which is believed to have been written 120- 130 years after Muhammads death. Ibn Ishaq alleges that Muhammad, deviating from the strict monotheism of Islam, approved of the worshipping of al-Lat and al-Uzza and Manat, who were at that time worshipped by the Meccans. Give the term.
29. This was the informal name of a number of celebrated English racing cars, built and raced by Count Louis Zborowski and his engineer Clive Gallop in the 1920s.were built and stored at Higham Park, Zborowskis country house at Bridge near Canterbury in Kent. The cars were so loud that Canterbury reportedly passed a by-law prohibiting them from entering within the city walls.So, what was the informal name?
30. In the early 1900s. This term was used to refer to small movie theatres in America. The term derives from the fee of 5 cents charged per movie. Today, the term is most commonly associated with something else in the Entertainment industry. Which term?
31.All episodes of Season 5 of this sitcom were named after Led Zeppelin songs and subsequent seasons followed the same pattern. For the sixth season it was The Who, for the seventh it was The Rolling Stones and for the eighth season it was Queen. Which sitcom is this?
32.There is a school for ‘Gifted Youngsters’ at 1407 Graymalkin Lane in Salem Center, a city in Westchester County, New York although every human can see it as the Westchester chapter of Jehovah’s Witnesses. What are the students who study here, collectively known as?
33. It was first seen in an antique store, where a meek, ineffectual guy named Stanley who bought it as a gift for his girlfriend. It made him manic, uninhibited, relatively invulnerable (he could be damaged but always snapped back). His conscience disabled, Stanley went on a rampage of killing and maiming the many people who had wronged him in the past. Not surprisingly he wound up dead. What was the gift that he bought?
34.Each week, Pierre and his friends organise what is called as ‘un diner de cons’ . He brings a ‘special guest’ Francois Pignon for their humor, but everything instead goes haywire. This particular 1998 movie was remade into which bollywood movie in 2007?
36. Out of a total of 56, the following 9 are alive : Doris Day Queen Elizabeth II Brigitte Bardot Fidel Castro Chubby Checker Bob Dylan John Glenn Sally Ride , and,, Bernhard Goetz What am I talking about?
Those Individuals still alive who featured in We Didn’t Start the Fire
37. The Top 5 Most common US Place names are as follows : 1. Franklin ( 30 ) 2. Clinton ( 29 ) 3. ________ ( 28 ) 4. Greenville ( 25 ) 5. Salem ( 25 ) Fill in the Blank.
38. In the movie 2001 : Space Odyssey, a hospital nurse who is watching over Dave Bowmans mother throws down a TIME magazine to go and check on her. The magazine cover is supposed to have photographs of the US and the Russian presidents. Which 2 people feature on the magazine?
• 40.• This Indian Pop Band features Madhu Balakrishnan (Vocals), Deepak Warrier, Deepak Das, Harib Mohammed, Niran Kumar, Narayan Unni & X. Their most famous numbers are a Hindi song written by X, called “Hello Sher Banke Tu Jung Ladd le” & a romantic number in Tamil, “Anbulla Azhake”. Identify X.
41.The pic of the Raffles Hotel in Perth and the Canning highway leading up to it can be seen in the next slide. Because the Hotel is at the bottom of a steep hill, the intersection there has had many accidents and crashes. This served as the inspiration of?
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy! PS. This was question number 42 :D
43. X can be seen briefly in The Buggles music video for the 1979 song "Video Killed the Radio Star". In 2006 he quoted, “"My father died when I was just a child, and I escaped somehow into the music and music has been my best friend.” Who’s X ?
44. This 5 storey New York city tenement block is located at 96 and 98 St. Mark’s Place. The 4th floor of the building was left out for practical purposes, but the other floors were immortalized by a certain Mike Doud. How? ( Image next slide )
45. One theory advanced to account for X is that the painter had observed an effect of the powerful volcanic eruption of Krakatoa in 1883: the ash that was ejected from the volcano left the sky tinted red in much of eastern United States and most of Europe and Asia from the end of November 1883 to mid February 1884. This explanation has been disputed by scholars who note that he was an expressive, rather than descriptive painter, and was therefore not primarily responsive to literal rendering. Alternatively, it has been suggested that the proximity to the site of the painting of both a slaughterhouse and a madhouse may have offered inspiration What?
TheRed background in ‘ The Scream’ by Edvard Munch.
46. Born in Budapest, Hungary to an Indian father and a Jewish mother, she was the elder of two daughters born. In 1921, her family moved to Summer Hill, Shimla in India and soon began learning piano and violin. At the age of eight, she started learning painting formally. Who?
This theme round contains 5 questions.The Answer to each question will have to be written down. Anytime after a question is displayed, a team can go for the connection.Scores will be shown on each slide.Five points for every correct answer to the question and another five points bonus if a team gets all five questions correct.NON EXHAUSTIVE.
This Indian author made it to the ‘Time 100 most influential people’ for the year 2010.His first three novels were written during his tenure as an investment banker freshly out of college.Who?
His full name is Joseph X Y, although most of us know him only as X Y. A Brit by Nationality, he was born in Bombay in 1865 and died in 1936 at the age of 70 in London. Pandit Nehru always described, X Y’s novel ___ as his favorite book. X Y?
Most of X Y’s writings show a very strong influence from the Social life in the hill stations at the foothills of the Himalayas, where he spend his childhood. His first novel, ‘The Room On The Roof’ , was written at 17 and published at 21. It was partly based on his experiences at Dehra, in his small rented house on the roof and his friends. X Y?
Approximately 230 m from where it originally stood on the South Side of the Thames, this famous reconstruction is entirely made of English oak and is possibly the only thatched roof structure in all of London, thus imitating an authentic 16th century structure. Thankfully, all safety norms have been followed this time around. What structure? [Picture on next slide]
1. Partha da for suggesting me to do a quiz before I leave.2. Kinshuk da for helping me with the venue and logistics.3. The folks at YMCA.4. Jayashree aunty and Soubhadra da for allowing me to test the questions on them.5. All those who turned up!6. And finally, my mother to have supported me.