This is a public presentation I gave at SIM University last year around this time. It is about using Open Source Software in every corner of the computing sector - desktop, workstation, server, appliances. I list the important pieces of software as well.
S. P. T. Krishnan
Institute for Infocomm
• About me
• Open Source Software (OSS)
– Server / Infrastructure
– High Performance Computing (HPC)
• Case study
10-May-08 UNISIM OSOM SEMINAR 1 2
• Senior Research Engineer
– @ Cryptography and Security, I2R
• RHCE of the year 2007, APAC
• PSSA 2004 nominee
• 10+ years experience
– Windows kernel hacking (MS thesis)
– Open source ecosystem (I,D,E) experience
• PhD (part-time), High Performance
10-May-08 UNISIM OSOM SEMINAR 1 3
• Personal view
– Does not represent I2R, or Singapore Red Cross
– Based on personal experience
• Tip of the Ice berg of OSS
– Most useful software
– Least resistance path
10-May-08 UNISIM OSOM SEMINAR 1 5
• I have always used Windows
– Why should use Linux ?
• I have only coded in Visual Basic !
– Why learn another language ?
Is Linux tough to learn and use ?
Don’t I get a GUI ?
What is a shell ?
I don’t know where to start
Do I have to remove Windows to use Linux ?
10-May-08 UNISIM OSOM SEMINAR 1 8
Workstation - 1
• Open source language programming
– What is wrong with VB/VC++ programming ?
• Why do I need to program for multiple OS ?
– Platform specific languages limit market size
– OSX is rising, Linux is default OS in many
– Smart phones (Nokia sold 10M N95s in 1 year)
– New device form factors (internet tables)
– Open Standards
10-May-08 UNISIM OSOM SEMINAR 1 11