Exam Practice Questions G325 Critical Perspectives
1. “Digital technology turns media consumers into media producers.” In your
own experience, how has your creativity developed through using digital
technology to complete your coursework productions?
2. Describe how you developed research and planning skills for media
production and evaluate how these skills contribute to creative decision
making. Refer to a range of examples in your answer to show how these skills
developed over time.
3. How has your Post-production skill developed through creative use of digital
technology? Refer to a range of examples in your answer to show how these
skills developed over time.
4. How has your creativity developed through using conventions from real media
1. “Media texts rely on cultural experiences in order for audiences to easily make
sense of narratives.” Explain how you used conventional and / or
experimental narrative approaches in one of your production pieces.
2. Analyse media representation in one of your coursework productions.
3. “Audiences and institutions rely heavily on genre conventions when
consuming and marketing films.” Explain how you used, challenged and
developed genre conventions within your production.
4. Describe how your production operates within the language of your chosen
5. How important was it to recognise your audience’s needs when producing
QUESTION 2 - Collective Identity
Refer to at least two media to support your answer using specific textual examples.
1. Discuss the contemporary representation of a nation, region or social group in
2. How far does the representation of a particular social group change over time?
Refer to at least two media to support your answer.
3. Analyse the ways in which the media represent one group of people that you
4. “The media do not construct collective identity; they merely reflect it.”
5. “Identity and representation is mediated by the media.” Discuss.
6. “A focus on identity requires us to pay close attention to the diverse ways in
which media and technologies are used in everyday life, and the consequences
both for individuals and for social groups.” Discuss.
7. What are some of the effects do particular kinds of media representation of
collective identity have on society?