Stc Money To Study Final


Published on

All the information you need to support yourself through your studies.

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Stc Money To Study Final

  1. 1. Money to Study
  2. 2. <ul><li>Contents </li></ul><ul><ul><li>1. How To Get Financial Advice In College </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>2. Grants </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>3. Loans </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>4. Funding From College </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>5. Transport For London </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>6. Help From Charities & Trusts </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>7. Social Security Benefits </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>8. Tax Credits </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>9. Immigration Status </li></ul></ul>
  3. 3. 1 - How to get financial advice in the college You may qualify for help with your childcare, travel, books & equipment, fees or circumstances of exceptional hardship from the funds listed here. If you are an international student, refugee or asylum seeker please check section 9. “Immigration Status” . For financial advice you can see a member of the Student Counselling and Advice Service. They provide free confidential one to one appointments on a wide range of money related issues.
  4. 4. 1 - How to get financial advice in the college -> You can book an appointment on the timetable on the counsellor/adviser’s door or phone the numbers given below: Wandsworth Room T706 020 8918 7224 Putney Room E5 020 8918 7309 Tooting Room 121 020 8918 7509
  5. 5. <ul><li>2 - Grants </li></ul><ul><li>► EMA – Education Maintenance Allowance </li></ul><ul><li>EMA is given by the Government to students who are: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>• aged 16-18 at the start of September </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>• have income or parental income of less than £30,810 </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>• study for 12+ hrs a week </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>• Studying for a recognised qualification from year 12 /13 </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>• be ordinarily resident in the UK or EEA for at least 3 years prior to application OR granted ILR or HP if a refugee </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-> To get an application form please: </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ call 080 810 16 219, </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ visit or </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ ask at Student Services </li></ul></ul></ul>
  6. 6. <ul><li>2- Grants </li></ul><ul><li>► ALG - Adult Learning Grant </li></ul><ul><li>ALG is given by the government to students who: </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><li> ▪ are aged 19+ and studying 12+ hours a week; </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li> ▪ have income or parental income of less than £30,810; </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li> ▪ are ordinarily resident in the UK or EEA for at least 3 years prior to application OR granted ILR or HP if a refugee. </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-> To get an application form please: </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ call 0800 100 900, </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ visit or </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ ask at Student Services </li></ul></ul></ul>
  7. 7. <ul><li>2- Grants </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► LEA Grants – for Higher Education </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>HNC, HND and Degree students may be eligible for a grant from their Local Education Authority (LEA). These grants are assessed on income and personal circumstances. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>-> For further information: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ contact your local town hall; </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ see a Counsellor/Advisor in college. </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li> [See also section 3 . “Loans” ] </li></ul></ul></ul>
  8. 8. <ul><li>2- Grants </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Care to Learn </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>A government administered scheme for students who are: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ 16-19 yr old at the start of September and a parent enrolled on any course, any hours. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>It‘s to help with the cost of registered childcare and travel. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>-> To apply: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ call 0845 600 2809 ; </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ visit . </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ ask Children Centre staff </li></ul></ul></ul>
  9. 9. <ul><li>3- Loans </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Student Loan </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>This is for full time Higher Education students only. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Contact your Local Education Authority for an application pack </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>and an appointment with a caseworker, particularly if you are an </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>overseas student/ refugee. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Or contact the Student Loan Company on 0800 731 9133, </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li> and order the latest booklet. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>You must be a Home student with Settled Immigration Status </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>[see section 7]. </li></ul></ul>
  10. 10. <ul><li>3- Loans </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Career Development Loan </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>This is a government administered scheme for students who are: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Aged 18 and over </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Wanting to do any vocational course of up to 3 years </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Have settled immigration status ( see section 9) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>It’s interest free while at college, then you repay over up to 60 </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>months. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>-> See a student/counsellor/advisor for further information. </li></ul></ul>
  11. 11. <ul><li>4- Funding from College </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► LSF – Learner Support Fund </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>LSF is given to the College from government funding, to students who are: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Aged 16+ and not receiving EMA </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Studying 12.5 hours /week for 16–18s, 8 hours a week for over 19s, and 4 hours /week for ESOL/Basic Education courses. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Studying on any fundable course, inc HNC and HND </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ On means tested benefit like JSA / IS or very low income </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Able to get tutors approval with application </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Able to provide proof of income </li></ul></ul>
  12. 12. <ul><li>4- Funding from College </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Awards </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li> -> General awards - you may receive a contribution (not the full cost) towards your books and travel if applicable. It is paid at least 4 weeks in arrears each term. Make sure you can afford all your expenses for at least the first term as the autumn payment of LSF may not be paid until January. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li> -> Childcare awards - you must apply to the Child Care Manager as soon as you receive a course offer. There is limited funding available. </li></ul></ul>
  13. 13. <ul><li>4- Funding from College </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Awards </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>-> Fee Bursary awards - if you are not on benefit you can apply for a third off your fees if you are: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Aged 19 or over </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ Have household income of less than £16,500 </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-> Discretionary awards - there is very limited funding for </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>small, one-off payments made during the year. These are only if </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>a student experiences exceptional and unexpected financial </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>problems. A grant is only made where it is sufficient to assist the </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>student to remain at college. </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-> Application forms for all of the above are available </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>from Student Services. </li></ul></ul></ul>
  14. 14. <ul><li>4- Funding from College </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Learning Skills Council funding </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Depending on your circumstances and the level of the </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>course you are applying for you may be eligible for government </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>help with your course fees. To find out if you are eligible see an </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Education Adviser or Student services for more details. </li></ul></ul></ul>
  15. 15. <ul><li>5- Transport for London </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Transport for London Student Oyster Cards </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>If you study 12.5+ hours a week, you can apply for a student </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Oyster Card from Transport for London. Cards cost £5. </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ 16 and 17 yr olds get free or half fare </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>▪ 18+ yr olds get a 30% discount </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>-> For more details : </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ see leaflets and application forms available from Student Services or at tube stations </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>▪ or apply online at </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>► Transport for London Bus +Tram Discount Card </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>If you are over 18 and in receipt of Income Support you can apply </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>for an Oyster Card at the post office which will give a </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>50% reduced fare on all buses and trams. </li></ul></ul></ul>
  16. 16. EGAS (Educational Grants Advisory Service) is an organisation that matches you to various educational charities which can award small grants of £50-£400. You can apply at or see a Student Counsellor / Adviser for help applying to a wider choice of educational and general need charities. There is only limited funding so early application is advised. 6- Help from Charities and Trusts <ul><ul><li>► EGAS & Educational Charities </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Awards made through the college. You can apply if you are: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>a female student </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>studying a level 3 course </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>experiencing unexpected financial hardshop </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Application forms are at Student services. For further information and help please see the Student Counselling and Advice Service. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► Elizabeth Nuffield Fund </li></ul></ul>
  17. 17. For 16-19 year olds, this will continue to be paid to your parent /guardian, while you are studying 12+ hrs a week. 7- Social Security Benefits <ul><ul><li>► Child Benefits </li></ul></ul>If you are age 18+, you can study up to and including 16hrs a week on a part time course and still get JSA. However, you must still show that you are “available for and actively seeking work” at all times. You must be prepared to give up the course if the Jobcentre finds you work or you will have your JSA claim cancelled. <ul><ul><li>► Job Seekers’ Allowance (JSA) </li></ul></ul>
  18. 18. Some students can claim IS and still study full or part time. For example, if you are a lone parent / carer are ill and unfit to work, aged 18-19 and living apart from your family. Please ask College Counsellor /Adviser for more details. 7- Social Security Benefits <ul><ul><li>► Income Support (IS) </li></ul></ul>Usually 16 and 17 year olds cannot get any benefits. However, you might be eligible for JSA or Income Support if you are a lone parent; living apart from family; or have other exceptional circumstances. See Counsellor/Adviser at college or more information. <ul><ul><li>► 16 to 17 years olds </li></ul></ul>
  19. 19. If you are long term unemployed (6+ months) your Jobseekers adviser may advise you that you must go on a New Deal course. If you do not take up the New Deal option your JSA claim will be closed. See a Counsellor/Adviser for further advice. 7- Social Security Benefits <ul><ul><li>► New Deal </li></ul></ul><ul><li>This is a new DWP service for lone parents. </li></ul><ul><li>You are eligible if you are: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>A lone parent </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>In receipt of benefit </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Studying a Level 1 to Level 3 vocational course. </li></ul></ul><ul><li>It covers costs of childcare, travel and other expenses. It is available for up to 52 weeks. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>► New Deal for Lone Parents (NDLP) </li></ul></ul>
  20. 20. <ul><li>You are only eligible to HB / CTB if you are: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>• on a very low income / qualifying benefit </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>• on a part time course of up to 16hrs a week </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>• studying up to HNC level only (unless lone parent /disabled) </li></ul></ul><ul><li>The amount awarded will vary according to your individual circumstances and is means tested. Contact your local HB office or the Student Counsellor / Adviser for help with this. </li></ul>7- Social Security Benefits <ul><ul><li>► Housing Benefit / Council Tax Benefit </li></ul></ul>
  21. 21. You may be eligible if you have one or more children and have household earnings of under £58,000 per year, whether you are a lone parent or a couple. How much you get will depend on your income. It will be paid weekly or every four weeks into a bank or post office account. You will need to inform the tax office if there are any changes in your situation during the tax year. 8- Tax Credits <ul><ul><li>► Child Tax Credits </li></ul></ul><ul><li>If you are working and on a low income you may be entitled to Working Tax Credit. Whether you are entitled and the amount you will get depends on the number of hours you work each week, your income and your circumstances. Payments may also be made to cover registered or approved childcare costs. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>-> For more information and to apply : </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li> </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>► Working Tax Credit </li></ul></ul>
  22. 22. <ul><li>To qualify for most of the above grants and loans you must be a </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Home Student ( citizen or permanent resident) or </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>have Settled Immigration Status (have been living in the UK for 3+ years as a settled, permanent, resident with ILR, ELR, LR,HP or EU Citizenship before the college term begins) </li></ul></ul>9- Immigration status <ul><ul><li>► Home students and settled immigration status </li></ul></ul>You can apply to the Learner Support Fund and charities and will be assessed on your circumstances and income. <ul><ul><li>► Asylum seekers and refugees without settled status </li></ul></ul>Check the UKISA website for up to date information about your situation <ul><ul><li>► International students </li></ul></ul>
  23. 23. Remember we are here to answer your queries and help you with your studies … We hope you have found this information useful. Do not hesitate to contact Student Counselling and Advice Service if you need further guidance. Many thanks!