WUN - International,
Interdisciplinary and „On the
Move‟ - The Digital University
Eleonora Gandolfi (International Office)
Les Carr, Graeme Earl, Lisa Harris and Chris
Phethean (Web Science Institute)
• The World Universities Network
• The Digital University
• Collaborations within geographically dispersed research
• Education and Research links
• Online speed dating session with other researchers
Activity: Projects and Dating Wall
• New project in mind?
• Need some help?
• Skills and advice to offer?
• The Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) seeks to
create new, multilateral opportunities for international
collaboration in research.
• Current partners:
• Maastricht University, Nanjing University, The Chinese University of
Hong Kong, The Pennsylvanian State University, The State University
of Campinas, University of Alberta, University of Auckland, University
of Bergen, University of Bristol, University of Cape Town, University of
Leeds, University of Rochester, University of Sheffield, University of
Southampton, University of Sydney, University of Western Australia,
University of Wisconsin, Madison, University of York, Zhejiang
Web Science MOOC
• What is Web Science?
• Web Science MOOC is Southampton focused with input
from external WSI partners via hangouts
• Involvement of PhDs and ECRs in the MOOC.
Web Science free MOOC – how the Web is changing
DTC and WSI on tour
• Physical visits to different institutions by PhD students and
• Encouraging research collaborations
Visualisation I – User Profile Data
Percentage of protected and location-
enabled accounts (Twitter)
“Investigating cultural differences based on privacy and security
attitudes of UK and Korean people online”
• The Research Mobility Programme (RMP) offers early career
researchers (senior PGRs, postdocs and junior faculty members) the
opportunity to visit one of the international WUN partners in Europe,
Americas, China, South East Asia and Australasia to establish and
cultivate research links at an institutional and individual level.
• The University of Southampton is pleased to host incoming Worldwide
Universities Network (WUN) visiting research students and faculty
under the Research Mobility Programme.
• The Research Development Fund is a catalytic fund bringing
together WUN researchers from around the world to undertake
innovative, high quality, sustainable research that addresses one of the
four WUN Global Challenge. Grants of up to £15,000 (to be matched by
• “Many WUN projects are supported by virtual seminar series which allow early
career researchers and masters students access to world class research at the
same time as facilitating faculty collaboration and research community
• Technology for sharing research data e.g. RTI
• Rock art recording including ECRs and PhDs
"A long-term goal of this pilot project is the establishment
of collaborative relationships for the development of
procedures, records and tools that enable Traditional
Owners to engage with rock-art in new ways and at the
same time staying in control of the level of access that is
given to different interested parties, including members
of the community and tourists."
Activity – Sharing research activities
• Ever written a document collaboratively e.g. Google Doc?
• Have you ever worked on a research dataset together
• Do you make use of peer review of different kinds?
• “Many WUN collaborations include activities that produce resources for use in
teaching or which provide early stage researchers with opportunities to develop
• Different research communities share modules on Masters degrees, develop
archives of virtual seminars for use in teaching and postgraduate research, as
well as providing virtual Master classes and organising international summer
• Engineering and Archaeology
• ECRs and PhDs
• Online open course
• Open text book and research papers
Activity: Open Scholarship
• Do you understand your open publication options?
• Is open publication worth less?
• What are open educational resources?
• Do you share research data openly?
• What are you required to do?
• Indigenous Networks
• ECRs and PhDs
• Social media in multiple cultural contexts e.g. access
“Of the seven billion people in the world today,
approximately six billion are from the global
South, largely Indigenous and living in poverty
(Mignolo 2012). There is no doubt that this
group of people will largely determine world
futures, particularly given the changing nature
of world environments, economics and politics.
This rapidly changing world order requires a
new order of global engagement around
Activity: Social media
• Social media uses in education?
• Social media uses in research?
• Do you contribute to blogs?
Other International Connections
• “The Global Partnerships Award aims to promote the
strategic priorities of the University of Southampton and
raise the University’s international profile… The primary
funding streams are Research and Education”
• Increasingly these incorporate digital connections to other
institutions, and this could be a fascinating growth area.
• Digital Humanities
• Interconnected Labs
• Internal Communications Network
• How do you find someone to work with at Southampton?
• Have you ever found a collaborator outside and later found
a UoS partner would have been better?
• Southampton Interdisciplinary Research Forum (SMuRF)
• Mining Eprints and profile pages?
• Innovative interdisciplinary
• Virtual spaces
• Collaboration between ECRs
Activity: Research Space
• How important is being in the same space with other
• How well do digital tools work instead?
• How can we improve our research spaces?
• Technological research spaces?
• ECRs and PhDs at its heart
• Portus Field School
• MOOC exam
• Flipping the UoS classroom
• MOOC “skunk works”
• Citizen science
• UG, PGT, PGR, LLL
• Blending digital and physical spaces
Activity: Digital University
• What would make Southampton a more Digital University?
• Does the Digital University offer any more opportunities to
ECRs and PhDs?
• Do we need more skills to make this work?
• Does digital pose a threat to the University?
• Citizen science?
Activity: Speed Dating