Where Do Bones
Move? begin to
In this lesson, we will
identify certain bones and the
joints that move them!
Created by Mr. Stephen Wentz
Council Rock School District
• Read the following situation and respond in your science
• Jeremiah was sitting under an oak tree when he heard a
loud cracking noise directly above him. He looked up
and noticed one of the tree’s branches getting ready to
break away from the tree. Jeremiah immediately jumped
to his feet and ran away to safety
How was Jeremiah’s body able to move?
How are we able to move?
• Coming around to each group is a real shin bone.
• Look at it, feel it, describe it…
• Can it bend? Is it soft? What does it feel like?
• If our bones are so hard and cannot bend…then how do
Let’s Play…Where’s this joint?
• 1. Read each riddle on page 6, then try to identify the joints
they refer to.
• 2. Once you and your partner think you have solved the
riddle, write the name of the joint on the line. Use the word
bank at the bottom of the page to help.
• 3. Then, locate and label the joint on the skeleton diagram
on page 7.
Where’s this joint?
• Joint A – Knuckle
• Joint B – Shoulder
• Joint C – Ankle
• Joint D – Knee
• Joint E – Jaw
• Joint F – Wrist
• Joint G – Hip
• Joint H – Neck
• Joint I – Elbow
• Have you ever heard the Skeleton Dance?
• Here’s your challenge!
• Using the lyrics from the skeleton dance song, change the
common bone names to the actual bone names in the
song, then perform it for the class.
The foot bone connected to the leg bone
The leg bone connected to the knee bone
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone
The thigh bone connected to the hip bone
The hip bone connected to the back bone
The back bone connected to the neck bone
The neck bone connected to the head bone
After you and your partner(s) are done, make a
poster with your new lyrics on it! Illustrate it with
skeletons and bones!
The metatarsals and phalanges bones connected to the
fibula and tibia bones
The fibula and tibia bones connected to the patella bone
The patella bone connected to the femur bone
The femur bone connected to the pelvis bone
The pelvis bone connected to the lower vertebra bones
The lower vertebra bones connected to
the upper vertebra bones
The upper vertebra bones connected to the skull bones