Will I Really Have toWill I Really Have to
Write? Why Do IWrite? Why Do I
Have to Write?Have to Write?
I have done enough writingI have done enough writing
exercise at the school level.exercise at the school level.
– The purpose of the school writing is
usually to show that you have learned
the course material and to demonstrate
The purpose of business
communication is to meet an
• The audiences for the school writing are
• The audience for business
communication includes people both
inside and outside the organization.
Real audience pay attention to
messages only if they seem
important, relevant and interesting.
• Information in school writing may be new
to you but is rarely new to your instructor.
• Information in business
communication is usually new to
• School writing often follows the
traditional essay form.
• Business communication is organized
to meet the psychological needs of
• The style for the school writing is
• The style for business
communication is friendly, not
• School writing often rewards long
paragraphs. Papers are often double
spaced with no attention to visual design.
• Business people want to be able to
skim documents. Headings, lists, and
other visual designs are used.
• Except for maths and engineering etc. few
classes expect writing to contain anything
other than words.
• Business writers are expected to choose
the most effective way to convey
information. Even a one-page memo may
contain a table, graph, or other visuals.