Level Designs for Platformers
Presented by Soe Myat Min
Contact me 09-250178574
Understand the Subgenres
• Puzzle platformers
• Run and gun platformers
• Cinematic platformers
• Comical action game
• Isometric platformers
• Platform-adventure games
• Endless running games
• Mean the design
• Give what feeling
• Forest, Ice or Snow, Lava, Castle
Make a List
• Special Items (power up)
• General Items (coin, heal)
• Secret area
To know a player what we want
• First enemy
• Total useable power (aslo shot or jump)
• How power is useful
• Platform conditions
• Its Just line or block and text in the graph
• Check its area spacing big or small (long = boring)
• That area complex or simple (complex != hard)
• Easy to hard (Must have bonus or prize)
Add the label
• E for ‘Enemy’, P for `Power-up’, and K for ‘Key’
• Write the long form somewhere
• Make style to look simple understand (Texture,
• No much time to introduce the same function
between developers, it’s just communication
• Make transition between sheet and
• Set the space for comment and other changeable
• Setting the definite spacing of a block, an enemy
or such a things.
• Reversible and flexible to change
• Set the title number to connect.
• Color, Background and size.
• Just type the color name no need to paint.
• Discuses with Graphic designers.
• View and Direction to go.
• Show some info style. (Jump into it, that is path)
• Control the player by theme (such weather: wind
= auto move)
Tests and Reports
• Play in your mind
• Your design process is not finish after drawing
• You must reverse from the QA.
• Scaled design is recommended
• Write a simple document, how was u do wrong
and why u was wrong.
• Remind – just simple don’t waste time by this.
• Don’t waste the time by drawing beauty.
• You can draw line although without ruler (but must
• Remember you are Level designer, not graphic
• Theme is yours.
• Start is only from the easy beginning.
• Return from the customers report will be next