MANUAL “How to develop a dossier”Everybody knows that today English is very important around the world. Theimportance is because all scientific articles, books and technological informationare writhed in English. For this reason we are offering this language in this manual. 1. Aims Teach to English teachers how to develop a handbook about the 6 different areas of language learning. Language Awareness Language and Culture Language Learning Processes Language Teaching Planning and Evaluation Self-Assessment and Development Facilitate a way to organize and planning an English class and course. 2. Requirements To develop an English handbook you need to have internet access, a computer, office package, grammar books about your topics and to read the “Info content areas” document. 3. Requirements of the trainee.To join the course "Teachers’ training” trainees must demonstrate the followingcompetencies:Basic:1. Properly use Spanish, both oral and written expression.2. Use properly English, both oral and written expression in a minimum level B1.3. Use logical and systematic reasoning.4. Organizes and uses a proprietary method of study: learning to learn, autonomyand personal initiative.5. Interacts and communicates with one or more people in their social group.6. Competently handles word processing and basic computer tools SpecificMaster the four skills of English at an intermediate to advanced intermediateminimum. (Level B2 of the ALTE; Breakthrough of Cambridge; 500-550 pts. Penand paper TOEFL exam, Level B2 of the Common European Framework ofReference for Languages.
4. Application form for traineesLast Name: Name:TelephoneSex: Male FemaleE-mail Address:English Level A1 A2 B1 B2 C1Document TOEFL TRINITY Other:Presented? ________
5. Questionnaire - profile of the trainee (as preparation) Questionnaire No._____Thank you for participating in the teachers’ training. We would like to know yourcurrent skills level and your profile about this kind of training. It only will take fewminutes to answer these questions. There is no right or wrong answers, as we areinterested only in knowing your opinions. We will ask you complete thisquestionnaire at the star of the course.Full name: 1. I feel that I could run training for teachers.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little2. I can describe what topics dealt with Language awareness.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little3. I can describe what topics dealt with Language and culture.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little4. I can describe what topics dealt with Language Learning Process.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little
5. I can describe what topics dealt with Language Teaching.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little6. I can describe what topics dealt with Planning and evaluation.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little7. I can describe what topics dealt with self- assessment and development.a. Completely agreeb. Don’t agree at allc. Agreed. Agree somewhate. Agree a little 6. Course Rules The participant must maintain an 80% attendance otherwise cause global low course. To be considered as approved participant that obtains total at least 80 points after the course. No absences will be excused under any circumstances. 7. Structure and timingYou must to make a plan and consider how long takes you the explanation of everytopic and activity you teach. And need to know how to ask for the delivery includingtimes and the way of it between face to face or online way.
8. How to obtain the certificateThis is the evaluation parameters and criteria to accredit the course.BENCHMARKS: Language awareness Language and culture Language learning process - Know 20% Language teaching Planning and evaluation Self-Assessment and development Rubrics to assess - Know doing 60% Participant´s demo classes Trainee dossiers - Being 20% Class participation and checklist to review The evidence folder 100%CRITERIA: - The participant must get an 80% attendance otherwise he/she causes global low course. - The participant deemed approved if he/she obtains the total at least 80 points at the end of the course. APPLICATION FORM FOR TEACHERS’ TRAINING CERTIFICATION Trainee name: ___________________________________________ Address: ________________________________________________ E-mail address: ___________________________________________ Phone number: ___________________________________________ I would like to apply for the Teachers’ certification course, and I agree all the information above is true. Signature: ___________________________
9. Description of the topicsThese content areas are included in the teachers’ training:I. Language AwarenessII. Language and CultureIII. Language Learning Processes IV. Language TeachingV. Planning and EvaluationVI. Self-Assessment and DevelopmentI. LANGUAGE AWARENESSTrainees are able to do at the end of the course: Describe the language I am teaching and use the appropriate terminology Understand the principles of language learning and teaching Select the appropriate teaching points from teaching materials to suit different levels Provide my students with clear and effective explanations in a way that is helpful to them Select and apply the appropriate methodological tools to highlight differences in language systems Use reference materials (i.e. grammar books) effectively to provide my students with clear answers with regards to language-related questionsII. LANGUAGE AND CULTURETrainees are able to do at the end of the course: Take into account and incorporate into my teaching the educational experiences my students have had previously Provide for individual learner styles and strategies in my teaching Design my lessons with my students needs and interests in mind in order to make it interesting, lively and motivating Give my students feedback on their language competence in a way that is appropriate and helpful (i.e. error correction) taking into account the stage of language development they are at Encourage and motivate my students to improve.
III. LANGUAGE LEARNING PROCESSESTrainees are able to do at the end of the course: Take into account and incorporate into my teaching the educational experiences my students have had previously. Provide for individual learner styles and strategies in my teaching Design my lessons with my students needs and interests in mind in order to make it interesting, lively and motivating Give my students feedback on their language competence in a way that is appropriate and helpful (i.e. error correction) taking into account the stage of language development they are as well as the stage aim we are trying to achieve in a particular stage of a lesson. Encourage and motivate my students to improve, being aware of different types of motivation and capable to relate those to my students.IV. LANGUAGE TEACHINGTrainees are able to do at the end of the course: Define the aims of my lesson and understand how to achieve them by the end of the lesson as well as make my students aware of what my aims are Be confident in selecting, adapting and designing materials to suits those aims Use a variety of exercise types Use various media forms appropriately (Moodle, whiteboard, Smartboard...) Evaluate learning tasks and activities Incorporate learning tasks and activities which encourage and facilitate learner autonomy and take into account learners learning styles and cultural expectations Give clear instructions and make sure they are understood Manage a class effectively in a wide variety of contexts taking into consideration the learners needs and levels of language competence as well as mixed abilities Clarify the meaning of new vocabulary through the use of different means and I am able to check that the students have understood.
V. PLANNING AND EVALUATIONTrainees are able to do at the end of the course: State the general aims of a course with reference to the CEFR (European Framework). Define the aims of my lesson so that they fit within the context of the whole course. Plan lessons and teaching programs and include appropriate tasks to suit the learning outcomes. Use various ways of conducting a course evaluation Do a needs analysis and assess my students language competence according to the CEFR Inform my students on language examinations available to them and advice them on the appropriate options for them Help my students to plan further learning to suit their needs Use a variety of inductive and deductive approaches to present a grammar structure and select an effective approach taking into account the grammar point in question and the group Im teaching.VI. SELF-ASSESSMENT AND DEVELOPMENTTrainees are able to do at the end of the course: Reflect and draw conclusions from observations and self-observation in order to gain a better understanding of the teaching situation and validate, bring changes to and improve my own teaching Receive and make use of feedback on my teaching performance give constructive feedback to colleagues. Incorporate the systematic sharing of ideas with colleagues to promote best practice. Access the relevant support systems that will enable me to develop further and find solutions to my teaching problems. Put forward ideas on how to ensure continuous professional development.
10. Training contents and contents areasI. LANGUAGE AWARENESS Pronunciation training Learning vocabulary Listening comprehension, understanding different accents Learning spoken and written languageII. LANGUAGE AND CULTURE Awareness of socio-cultural and intercultural aspects of language Dealing sensitively with classroom situations relating to intercultural differences Understanding different backgrounds of students Cross-cultural communicationIII. LANGUAGE LEARNING PROCESSES How to correct mistakes and the use of social forms The different learner types Learning strategies and learner autonomy Progress tests Application of theoretical knowledge in real situationsIV. LANGUAGE TEACHING How do I teach vocabulary Speaking activities Difficult classroom situations The use of b-learning and e-learningV. PLANNING AND EVALUATION Aims and objectives of language teaching in the context of the institution and of the course Structure and sequence of course content Evaluation of learners progressVI. SELF-ASSESSMENT AND DEVELOPMENT Dealing with feedback Awareness of one’s own strengths and weaknesses Awareness of possibilities for further professional development
11. Evaluation of the tasks Language awareness Yes No Notes:1 The teacher is completely familiar with the basic tools for language analysis.2 The teacher is able to make general comparisons between the source language of the learners and the target language.3 The teacher can deploy this knowledge in his/her teaching, using it in particular for the planning of language lessons and language courses.4 The teacher is able to check his/her knowledge of the language system and to further develop it, using relevant reference sources.5 There is clear evidence of the mastery of the following skills and competencies in the candidates certification dossier.6 The teacher is able to use correct and appropriate terminology to describe language.7 The teacher is able to formulate learning objectives clearly and comprehensibly for language lessons and parts of language lessons8 The teacher is able to analyze language and help learners to understand language structures. Language and culture Yes No Notes:9 The teacher is aware of socio-cultural and intercultural aspects in language use and language production.10 The trainer is able to sensitive learners to cultural differences.11 Show empathy with/sensitivity to the cultural background(s) of the learners.12 Promote sensitivity towards cultural differences whilst avoiding cultural stereotypes in his/her learners.13 Integrate socio-cultural and intercultural topics into the language lessons. Language learning process Yes No Notes:14 Takes into account and incorporate into his/her teaching the educational.15 Provides for individual learner styles and strategies in his/her teaching.16 Designs the lessons with my students needs and interests in mind in order to make it interesting, lively and motivating.17 Gives the students feedback on their language competence in a way that is appropriate and helpful (i.e. error correction) taking into account the stage of language development they are as well as the stage aim we are trying to achieve in a particular stage of a lesson.18 Encourages and motivates his/her students to improve, being aware of different types of motivation and capable to relate those to my students. Language teaching Yes No Notes:19 The teacher defines the aims of the lesson and understands how to
achieve them by the end of the lesson as well as makes his/her students aware what their aims are.20 The teacher is confident in selecting, adapting and designing materials to suits those aims.21 The teacher uses a variety of exercise types.22 The teacher uses various media forms appropriately (Moodle, whiteboard, Smart board...)23 The teacher evaluates learning tasks and activities.24 The teacher gives clear instructions and make sure they have understood25 The teacher manages a class effectively in a wide variety of contexts taking into consideration the learners needs and levels of language competence as well as mixed abilities Planning and evaluation Yes No Notes:26 The teacher is able to plan and evaluate language lessons within the context of a given curriculum/course of studies.27 The teacher understands the institutional context of his/her teaching activities and is familiar with the overall training programs offered within his/her institution.28 The teacher Understands the levels of competence defined in the European Framework of Reference, is familiar with the main language examinations offered in the target language and is able to prepare learners to take such examinations. Self-assessment and development Yes No Notes:29 The teacher Is able to Combine theoretical knowledge with practical language teaching.30 The teacher Acquire basic methodological-didactic competence and skills and know when and how to apply them.31 The teacher Understand the different aspects and problems related to modern language teaching. 12. Checklists for the lesson observation The teacher know how to do Yes No Notes1 Set the objectives of the class2 Target students adequately toward achieving the goal3 Set the class session consistently4 Selected the appropriate teaching tools to the audience5 The activities proposed where according to the objectives6 Prepared the necessary materials for the class7 Used easily the selected material Conduct a teaching sequence8 Used materials to develop group dynamics9 Use equipment to motivate the environment10 Is organized with students participation11 Use efficiently class time
12 Used media to promote learners autonomy13 Did clear explanations14 Checked the students understanding the instructions given Evaluation15 Encourage the students to correct themselves16 Promoted peer correction17 Used the errors to check a specific point18 Proposed remedial activities or autonomy to improve19 Practiced a positive assessment20 Use rubrics and/or cross-checking list Teacher’s knowledge21 Show a mastery of the language according the level22 Use the language taught in a fluid and accurate form23 Participate actively in workshops and conferences Teacher´s behavior24 Know to create a climate of confidence in the classroom25 Listen to the students26 Know how to face possible discipline problems27 Direct to all students when it is necessary28 Speak loud enough29 Is always on time30 Is well organized31 Is patient32 Is dynamic General comments: