Social Media Marketing is a misnomer
It is actually about
Marketing in a socially connected world
Or better still
How a should a business manifest in a socially
It is about
Making Business Social
And this the key issues businesses need to
Social Media is not just a Brand Manager level
It is actually a CMO issue, a CPRO issue,
a CHRO issue, a CFO issue
Social Media is a CXO issue
Conversations are happening…
within the organisation and outside the organisation
Conversations result in communities
Communities have more intelligence compared to
individuals (or organisations)
We need to learn the tap the collective
intelligence of the internal communities
Human beings thrive in chaos.
And within chaos we create order
Facebook is chaos.
Group and pages within FB are order.
Like minded people converge at these locations.
And this results in Group Dynamics
In the same fashion, organisations need to create
internal social networks, resulting in
And Group Dynamics result in
• Company used Yammer to drive their internal marketing
campaign called “One Ford”
• Through Yammer, the company developed a culture of
sharing, central to the “One Ford” business plan
• Employees realised that they were able to save time in
getting answers to queries they faced
• It streamlined internal networking significantly, increasing
project efficiency and helping employees find faster
resolutions to problems
• This campaign would have taken 4 months to develop, but
through Yammer, it completed in just 2 weeks.
• Wanted to communicate HR message across 5000 employees at 50+
locations, and also measure effectiveness of communication / action
• Helped evolve the message collaboratively by mythological case
studies, using internal social network
• Once messages were evolved, they ran a contest to encourage
employees to absorb the messages.
• Gratification was given to the winners - lunch with the MD
• For the 1st time, HR team was able to bench mark the effort of
communication & see it become actionable
• Kinetic Glue helped the company to set up a social network for
its marketing teams.
• This network allowed teams to share learning and insights (new
store launch, new product launch) , by choosing a format that
works best for their busy and often unpredictable day.
• It engages and motivates the sales staff
• Sales staff now posts feedback via its mobile phones into a
central group in the business social network. Not only is this real
time, it is visible to all store personnel.
• Typically high-attrition sales staff now feels much more engaged
with the organization.
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Gave Twitter and LinkedIn access to 600 of its 17000+
• Created pre-approved content database using Socialware
• Financial advisers can now use this content freely to
engage with their customers
• One of the financial advisers, Ms DeBellis assesses that
$10mn in 18 months period
• Calm cool
• Targeted for AT&T
• Identified issue of
• Created community
• It is about making business social
• Social Media is a CXO issue
• Tap the collective intelligence of internal
• Group Dynamics result in knowledge sharing,
bonding, collaboration, brand advocacy
If you need a copy of this
presentation, please leave
your business card. We
will email it to you.
Jt. CEO, Social Wavelength.
Company blog: blog.socialwavelength.com