Image courtesy: http://www.socialmediamagic.com
A Typical Social Media Monitoring Process
• one-time (dip stick)
• batch mode
Image courtesy: http://www.techvert.com/the-best-ways-to-assess-social-media-data-and-put-it-to-good-use/
WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA MONITORING DATA GENERALLY USED FOR?
SM Monitoring ->Marcom Strategy
• Case study of a B2B business
• Business Process Management / KPO Services
• Major clients in Fortune 1000 companies
(North America’s a key market)
• They cater to multiple industry verticals
• Compete with global IT and consulting majors
Existing Marketing Strategies
• Have a strong on-ground marketing team in
• Create large amount of collateral – white
papers, case studies, blog posts
• Participate in industry events
• Create their own focused events
Their Marcom challenge?
• Are they communicating what their prospect
wants to listen?
• Is there a clear differentiation between them
and their competitors?
• Is their content just one-more in a heap?
• Can they get more relevant to their TG?
Monitoring route to find an answer
• Identified a vertical of
Packaged Goods (CPG)
• Focus on 3 key areas
• Aim was to identify
gaps that could be
• Keywords related to the CPG Industry were identified. These were:
“CPG”, “Consumer Packaged Goods” and “Consumer Goods.”
• These Keywords were searched on social media and mainstream websites using
Radian6, a sophisticated social media monitoring tool.
• Out of the generated list of conversations, those which converse about the
challenges, innovations and the alliances in the CPG Industry are identified.
• The classified conversations were thoroughly checked for their content and the
type of challenges, innovations and alliances found, using human intervention.
Findings: 5 key Industry Challenges
• Lack of cost effective solutions (73 posts)
• Loopholes in business process (40 posts)
• Decision making challenges (33 posts)
• Analytics (33 posts)
• Speed (29 posts)
• Specific sub-topics found in each of these
Digging deeper on the challenges..
• In the first 3 cases, viz. lack of cost-effective solutions,
loopholes in business processes and decision making
challenges, innovative solutions were being shared
• In the area of Analytics and Speed though, there were
more questions and few answers; innovation was NOT
visible in these areas
• Clearly that was an opportunity waiting to be tapped
Other Key Findings
• Key brand names (competitors or potential
partners for our client) were discovered as
being preferred solution providers to CPG
• Most popular blog posts, Twitter discussions
and mainstream media topics were identified
• Top industry influencers were also found
Example: Some Key Findings
• Demand Forecasting is essential in ensuring that the customer receives ordered goods and products on time.
• As more and more food is being bought in America, there is more wastage. Putting an expiration date of packaged
food can cut down food wastage by 20%.
• Outsourcing creates less vulnerability to the changes in the market and also the freedom to source materials
depending on which factor is most important at the time – be it price or lead times.
• A survey stated that supply chain leaders identified technical skills as being one of the most coveted by businesses.
• It is clear that the supply chain has grown in importance as a tool to help businesses manage the risks associated with
some of the big challenges facing them today.
• With increasing options and the rise of private labels, competition is fierce in consumer packaged goods (CPG).
Increase your shopper relevance to position your company for growth.
• If the supply chain performs poorly, the effect is felt across the entire business causing possible long term failure in
performance of an otherwise successful business. This can be avoided by using ERP to run the business efficiently,
supplemented by added SCM solutions designed for today’s complexity and volatility and targeted at creating an
integrated, streamlined, and agile supply chain.
• Six trends shaping supply chain management are: new approaches to demand planning, increased globalization,
growing price pressure and competition, shorter and more complex product life cycles, outsourcing and greater
Benefits of the Effort
• All this data via a simple monitoring process
• Identification of areas of interest to the TG
• Recognizing specific spots where gaps existed
• Identifying solutions already popular with TG
• Understanding media and platforms of interest
• Identifying the influencers in the space, to
track them and create outreach also
Actionable Points for Marcom
• Client was able to identify key areas of focus
for collateral creation and topics for events
• Influencer and media tracking to continue to
analyze space better, on an ongoing basis
• Rub-off on social media strategy: creating
focused communities / groups, expert content
on SM sites, SM influencer outreach program
Joint CEO, Social Wavelength
email@example.com +91-98200-40918 @sm63