• Last month (August 2015), we had 211,520
monthly active users
• We have $2,789,388 in the bank
• Joel, Our CEO, makes $175,000 per year
• The last engineer we hired was offered $99.5K
• We spend 67 cents of every $10 on hosting
• Leo, Our COO, has 35% of company equity
The Truth is a
• Much less time on editing, getting permission
• If we know it, we’ll share it
• No risk of “leaking” something in a screenshot
• No “public version”
Salaries Blog Post
• Consistently in the top handful of blog posts
• Several thousand views per month
• Thousands of shares, countless articles referencing it
• Over 125,000 views since December 2013
• In the month after it was published, applicants for our
open jobs more than doubled.
Regular Transparency is just called
And that’s pretty great too.
Culture of Honesty
• No Real time revenue dashboard?
Share what you’re doing, what you hope to accomplish, and why
• No Open Salaries, Open Equity, Diversity Dashboard?
Talk about your values, how you make decisions, and how you’re changing what
• No entire “Open Blog?”
Answer every customer email and tweet really honestly
• No Transparent email?
Celebrate achievements, be open about struggles