Posting Like a Pro
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
How To Take Your Social Media Up a Notch
ARE YOU USING
• Campground owner
• Campground staff member
• Outside ﬁrm / person
2. WHO IS primarily
• > 10 hours
• 5-9 hours
• 1-4 hours
• As little as possible
3. ROUGHLY HOW
MUCH TIME DO
YOU SPEND ON
The Need for Strategy
If you’re going to spend TIME on social media, make sure you’re
being strategic. Know your objectives. Are you trying to GROW
your fan base, ﬁnd NEW customers, get previous customers to
come back, keep your campground top of mind?
71% of online adults use Facebook.
58% of all adults. Usage among
seniors (65+) continues to
increase. Women are more likely to
be on Facebook then men.
28% of online adults use Twitter.
Only 26% of online adults use
Instagram, but for young adults
(18-29) this number jumps to 53%,
up from 37% in 2013.
28% of online adults use Pinterest.
Women dominate this channel.
Bottom Line Facebook remains the most popular channel
Social Media Update 2014, Pew Research
Get out of the Rut
Are you in a rut when it comes to generating new ideas for what
to post? You are not alone.
The 80/20 Rule
Use just 20% of your posts to promote your brand, and dedicate
80% to stuff that really interests your audience and engages
them in conversations.
People use social media to be social. They really don’t
want to be subjected to your online sales pitch.Bottom Line
1. POSE A PROBLEM
AND ASK FOR ADVICE
Bottom Line People LOVE to answer questions and help
• “What would you do if…
• “I need to make a decision and am looking for your
• “We need to name our new inﬂatable. Any ideas? …
2. RUN A POLL
Bottom Line Polls are great for generating discussion AND
gaining valuable insight from your fans.
• “What color should we paint the showers?
• “What candies do you want to see in the camp store this summer?
• “Which Bloody Mary topping is more important? Cheese or
3. FILL IN THE BLANK
People love ‘em! Just about any question can
be rephrased as a fill in the blank. Test it and
see if you get higher engagement.
• “I’d rather be camping than ________________
• “Hands down, the best campﬁre recipe is _______________
• “The one thing I can’t leave at home when camping is
4. SHARE A BEHIND-THE-SCENES PICTURE
Showing there are real people behind your
campground makes you more relatable to your
8. HUMBLE BRAG toot your own horn
7. SEASONAL POST add the personal touch!
6. INSPIRATIONAL OR MOTIVATIONAL
QUOTES & IMAGES
5. CONTEST POST more later
9. FAN-ONLY DISCOUNT
10. BE IMPERFECT OK to share your struggles
Looking Your Best
You’re not professional graphic artists, copy writers, or
photographers…but that doesn’t stop you from looking
• #1 tool for small business
• pre-designed graphics and
• upload your own pix or
stock photos cost $1
• lots of free design
• Facebook, Instagram,
posters, email headers, etc.
• Great for driving engagement and
increasing awareness of your
• YOU are responsible for:
★ Lawful operation of your promotion
★ Ofﬁcial rules
★ Terms and eligibility requirements
★ Including a not sponsored by
• Make it a compelling
• Always keep your business
objectives in mind
• Don’t give away the store
• OK to ask people to post a
comment or like your post
• OK to ask people to like
your page, but no way to
• OK to ask them to message
• “Personal Timelines and
friend connections must
not be used to administer
your promotion” e.g.,
• Don’t ask people to
share your post
• Don’t ask people to tag
themselves in your photo
• If you’re running contests/
giveaways on Facebook,
WooBox is a MUST.
• Randomly picks your
• Export comments free
• Export Likes free
Know your objectives. Are you trying to TAP into the youth
market? Promote your campground? Look like you’re with it?
WHY TEENS LIKE IT
• Content is better. People are
more selective in what they
• The older generation hasn’t
found it yet
• No links, which mean they’re
not constantly spammed by
• Feels more private. Teens use
nicknames and it’s easy to
untag yourself in photos you
It’s a purely visual medium
• Tell your brand story through
images, not words
• Need access to good, strong
photography or video to
attract and keep followers
• You need to be religious
about sticking to your brand
• You need to understand and
use hashtags strategically
WHO’S CRUSHING IT
Great Wolf Lodge
Learn More Pinterest