Keeping House Kick Start Grant Guidelines
and Application Form (for organisations)
About the Kick Start Grant
The Kick Start grant is for individuals or organisations that have an idea for a socially
enterprising service that can support people to live independently in their own homes but need
support to develop the idea further before a full business plan can be developed.
The Kick Start grant could be used to carry out further research or a feasibility study or any
other activity which helps to develop the idea further.
Applicants can apply for a grant of between £500 and £2000. Applications can be submitted
anytime between October 2010 and the end of January 2011. We aim to make a decision on
the grant application within three weeks of the application being submitted. Successful
applicants must spend the funding by December 2011.
Filling in the Application Form
These guidelines should be read carefully before filling in the application form. Each
guideline refers to a question on the application form.
1. This should be the name of the organisation as it appears on your organisation’s certificate
of incorporation or governing document.
2. This should be the name of the person who filled in the form, or someone who can talk about
the application if we need further information.
3. This should be a job title (e.g. Development Worker, Coordinator etc) or Board/Management
Committee position (e.g. Treasurer, Chair etc). If you are a start-up organisation then you
can leave this blank.
4. This should be the main address for the organisation and should reach the person who can
talk about the application.
5. Tick the box or boxes that most accurately describe your organisation (e.g. a charity and a
company limited by guarantee). Please provide registration numbers and appropriate dates
as they appear on your constitution, document of incorporation etc.
6. Please fill in the number of people involved with the organisation.
7. This question refers to ALL the main activities of the organisation, not just the activity you are
applying for in this application. This provides us with the context for your proposed idea.
8. The Keeping House investment programme is not a traditional grant fund, our focus is to help
potential or existing social enterprises to develop. Use this space here to describe how you
fit in with the investment programme’s aims.
9. (a) Outline the idea that you are looking to develop with the support of Kick Start funding.
Please include as many details as possible.
(b) The Keeping House investment programme is looking to develop services to support
older people, people with physical disabilities, sensory impairments, people with learning
disabilities and people with mental health problems to remain independent. Please indicate
which group(s) of people your idea will support.
(c) Keeping House aims to develop a variety of services to help people to continue to live
independently. You will need to explain to us how you think your activity is working towards
this same aim.
10. Your application is assessed over a three week period. The start date should be no earlier
than three weeks after your submission.
11. Please provide a best estimate if you do not have a target completion date.
12. We are monitoring the geographic spread of applications. If your enterprise will operate in
more than one area, please indicate this. If you are working across the whole of Leeds,
please state this on the application form.
13. a) This is where you explain specifically how you want to use the Keeping House Kick Start
investment for, e.g. market research.
b) Please explain here how you will be looking to eventually generate income to sustain the
overall service you are looking to develop, e.g. will you charge people for the service?
14. a) This will provide us with a picture of how well resourced the idea is.
b) We want to see that you have thought about involving the people who use your service or
activity in the planning of it, and how they will be involved once the activity is up and running.
15. You should explain how you will make your activity accessible to all who may want to use it.
You will need to think about physical accessibility (e.g. large print, signers etc), practical
accessibility (e.g. providing cover for care responsibilities) and other forms of accessibility
such as culturally appropriate services (e.g. halal or kosher meal choice).
16. We want to know how you will measure whether the activity has been successful. For
instance, if you intend the grant to be used to carry out market research then a measure of
success may be a complete market research report which shows whether there is likely to
be demand for the proposed new service/activity.
17 & 18. We want to see the amount of the turnover of your organisation and how much you
currently earn through selling (charging for) goods or services. We will use this at the end of
the activity to monitor whether the Keeping House grant has contributed to an increase in
19. We want to see the full budget for the activity, even if it will cost more than the amount you
are applying for. Please show us how you will raise the extra costs if you are not applying to
us for the full amount of the activity. Be as detailed as you can be about how you have
arrived at costs (e.g. room hire at £10 an hour for 4 hours = £40, or 2 trainers at £300 per
day = £600 etc). If appropriate, you will need to tell us how many hours you or your
consultant will be spending on a feasibility study / business plan.
20. We need to see these documents to check the status of your organisation. Please also
remember to attach the draft brief if you intend to engage the services of a consultant to help
you with a business plan or feasibility study.
21. We need your permission in order to be able to offer you alternative sources of support or
suggest other possible funding if you are unsuccessful.
Please return your completed form to: David Peel, Leeds Adult Social Care, 2nd Floor East
Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, Leeds LS2 8QB
Telephone: 0113 247 7095 Email: email@example.com
Textphone: 0113 247 6976
Kick Start Grant Application Form (For
Office use only
About you and your organisation
1. Name of organisation:
2. Contact name:
3. Position in organisation:
4. Address of organisation:
Telephone number: Fax number:
Email address: Website address:
5. What is the legal structure of the organisation? (please tick and supply charity
registration number and/or company registration number)
Company limited by guarantee Company limited by shares
Industrial Provident Society Community Interest Company
Unincorporated Other (please specify below)
Charity registration number
Company registration number
Date of incorporation
Date commenced trading
6. How many people are involved with the organisation?
Board Full time paid staff
Part time paid staff Volunteers
7. What are the existing or planned main activities of your organisation?
8. In a few words please describe what makes your organisation a social enterprise or
how you plan to become a social enterprise
About your idea
9. a) Briefly outline the idea you would like to develop with Keeping House’s support
9. b) Who will the idea benefit and how will it support them to remain independent?
Older people People with mental health difficulties
People with learning disabilities Disabled people and people with
9. c) How will your idea support the people indicated above to remain independent?
10. When will the work in developing your idea further start?
11. When do you anticipate the work to develop your idea will
12.What wards will the activity take place in? (please tick all that apply)
East North East North West West South
Burmantofts and Alwoodley Adel and Armley Ardsley and
Richmond Hill Wharfedale Robin Hood
Cross Gates and Allerton Guiseley and and Beeston and
Whinmoor Rawdon Stanningley Holbeck
Garforth and Headingley Calverley City and
Swillington Moortown and Farsley Hunslet
Gipton and Roundhay Farnley Middleton
Harehills Hyde Park and Park
Wetherby and Wortley
Killingbeck and Woodhouse Morley North
Kippax and South
Methley Otley and
Across the whole of Leeds
13.a) How will you use an investment from Keeping House to develop your idea further?
nb. If you are intending to pay for a consultant to help with a feasibility study or business plan, please attach a draft
brief for the consultant outlining the work you want them to carry out and the hours quoted.
13.b) How do you intend to generate income to deliver the proposed idea/service?
14.a) Name the key people involved in developing the idea. Briefly state their relevant
skills and experience.
14.b) Please describe how the people your idea intends to benefit will be involved in its
15.How will you ensure that anyone who wishes to access your services is able to do
so? For example, have you thought about culturally appropriate services, or about
16.What will be a realistic successful outcome from this proposed activity? (This is the
information we will use for evaluating the success of the Keeping House investments,
e.g. develop a pricing strategy for the service or establishing whether there is a
market for the proposed service)
17. What is your current annual income? £
18. How much of this is from trading income? (charging for services or selling goods)
19. Using the space provided please provide a breakdown of what you would spend the
development grant on. Please include details of any additional funding you would be
putting into the idea.
Item Amount (£)
B. Amount you are requesting from us
C. Amount from other sources
i/ A must equal B+C
ii/ Please give written estimates for larger items, e.g. consultancy costs
iii/ If applying for sessional workers, state how many hours/sessions and cost per hour
iv/ If applicable, specify how many hours you / your consultant will be spending on a study / plan and enclose the
draft brief if you intend to employ a consultant
20. Does your organisation have:
i) A Bank Account Yes No
ii) Audited Accounts/Financial Statements Yes No
iii) A written constitution or set of written rules Yes No
Please send us a copy of all the documents you have ticked “Yes” to. If you have a bank
account you should send a copy of your most recent statement.
However, if your organisation is currently in receipt of an LCC grant, or you have received
previous Keeping House investment in this financial year, you do not need to re-send us
Signed by: Date:
On behalf of (organisation’s name):
21. If your application is unsuitable for Keeping House, may we pass it on to a more
suitable funder for them to consider it?
May we pass on information contained in this application to members of the selection
panel and those who manage and administer Keeping House?
(n.b. see note below about the data protection and freedom of information act)
Data Protection & Freedom of Information
We will only use the information in this form to consider your Keeping House application.
The information in this form will only be available to the Keeping House Panel and those who
manage and administer it. However, you must sign under question 22 to allow us to do
this and we cannot consider your application if you do not do so. We will retain
applications in line with our file retention policy.
Any personal information provided on the form is protected under the Data Protection Act
(1998). However, under the Freedom of Information Act (2000) we may be required to release
information about which organisations are or have been supported by Keeping House grants.
If you have any concerns about this or any other matter about your information you should
contact us (see contact details below).
Please return your completed form to:
Leeds Adult Social Care, 2nd Floor East Merrion House
110 Merrion Centre, Leeds LS2 8QB
Telephone: 0113 247 7095 Email:
Fax: 0113 247 7779 Textphone: 0113 247 6976