From Local to Global, Digital Marketing as a Bridge
• 123-year-old brand with
• Highly decentralized brand –
high level of local authority
• International, but not global
• Diverse main markets: Italy,
China, India, Chile, etc
• Primarily a shoe brand with
retail, wholesale and
Bata markets with direct
1. Move from an international brand to a global brand
2. Build the brand on a clear consumer insight and clear target consumer
3. Build iconic products
4. Keep our core followers engaged
Heritage Brand purpose Insight based product
• Our target
• Consumes 34+
hours of media
• In some
is already her
• Our strategy is
“to sweep her
off her feet”
Stores – Main point of interaction with the brand. 8m+ visits a day.
Traditional Media Channels – Minimal exposure. Focused on key magazines for image
building. Some use of radio for tactical local campaigns
“BataClub” Membership Club – 28m members in our loyalty club. Target is conversion
and visit to our store/e-commerce.
Social Media – Brand equity-focused. Build brand image amongst consumers and
Events – Engage consumers with real-time in-store and out-of-store events. Share
these through the above channels.
Why Focus on Social Media?
1. Global - Reach is virtually global. Our consumers are savvy and connected.
2. Measurable – Traditional channels are hard to measure. As a result, they are always being challenged.
3. Possible to Use Engaging Content – This is more challenging in other channels where time, space or
medium are limited.
4. Cost Effective – The relative cost of a social media campaign is lower than conventional channels.
5. You Can’t Avoid It – Consumption patterns highly favor it due to time spent by consumers on mobile
devices. We need to be where our customers are.
6. Underdeveloped – Faster for us to build new dimension than modify existing conventions.
Situation 1 Year Ago
Discount/promotion orientated Non-branded / equity negative
Now – Engaging Content Based on Insights
Video-based content Relevant to our consumers Authentic material
Social Media Evolution
• 100+ accounts across
• Locally run with little
investment in content
• Promotion orientated
• No brand stories
• Response times varying
from 2 hours to 2 weeks
• 2.0m followers (FB)
• Few influencers
• Focus on three
• Consolidation into a
branded umbrella on
• Analytical tracking of
• Partial integration with
• 3.4m followers (FB)
• Fully optimized
content, focused on
• Fully integrated with e-
• Highly developed
• FB 30% global content
and 5.0m followers
• Robust group of key
Bata Fashion Weekend
• First global branded event held
in Prague with press and
influencers from 40+ countries
• Live-streamed via social media
with over 3.3m tuning in to the
streaming on Instagram,
Facebook and YouTube
• Total views after two weeks via
influencers, fFBb, corporate,
press, etc in excess of 20m
• Key influencers selected by
market – collaborate deeply with
brand using their social media
presence as well as ours.
• Same formula works in different
markets – but local customs are
still strong. Local influencers are
very effective at bridging this.
• Focus primarily on Instagram –
notable exception is China – need
to use local channels.
Bata Marketing Team
Drives Sales / Experience Builds Brand Equity / Content
Content, Strategy, Plannning
Local teams execute media plans, buying and localization