HCD 330 – Life &
Camille D. Snow
• Self-motivated and self-starters
• Have good organizational skills
• Have good time-management skills
• Are familiar with computers and
• Are resourceful and actively seek
answers and solutions to questions
• Identify yourself by name in each
email or postings.
• Be supportive and constructive in
your comments to each other.
• Everyone will benefit from a
positive online learning
• Read information on Online
Etiquette (use the back button
to come back and finish the
• Course objectives
• Course expectations
How to submit assignments
How to label files
• How to address your e-mails to
• Grading Policies
• Other course issues
You must not:
• Take others’ thoughts or words without appropriate
• Submit work that has been written or revised in part or in whole by
• Submit work that you have submitted for another class.
It is a violation of college policy to plagiarize or
to recycle work.
• Most online classes are NOT self-paced.
• Usually homework, other activities, and
online class participation must be
completed by deadline.
• Many Instructors set the deadline for
midnight on Saturday to assist those who
• Use a calendar for deadlines.
• Set aside time each week to login.
Answer: That it is up to you.
• You should plan to spend at least the
same amount of time you would spend
on a face-to-face class.
• For a one unit class - you'll spend a
minimum of one hour a week looking at
some of the class resources, checking
on assignments, contributing to
discussions, and posting homework.
• You’ll probably spend another 3 hours
on reading, practice activities and
Answer: Usually not
• You will have deadlines by which to
submit your homework, but WHEN you
complete that work is usually up to you.
• Your instructor MAY require chat sessions
or other real time activities.
• It’s important NOT to leave it to the last
minute to do your work or to submit it.
• If you have trouble connecting to your
ISP or the course website, then your
assignments will be late. 8
• Other than the orientation meeting,
most online courses don't really "meet"
in a physical face to face sense.
• We'll interact regularly through the
• We'll be using some software called
Desire2Learn and using the Los Rios
eLearning web server.
• Course materials are available on the
course web pages, the bulletin boards,
announcements and email.
Answer: Online, not in a classroom.
Answer: In many ways.
• We'll communicate with each other using
web-based bulletin boards, chat rooms
• The instructor is available to you through
email, voicemail and virtual office hours.
• On-campus office hours are also
available by appointment.
• These same tools will be used for
student-to-student communication also.
• Some students think an online class is
even more demanding than a face-to-
• You have to stay motivated and stay
on top of your work for the class.
• The workload in an online class is
usually identical to an on-site class on
the same topic.
• Access to a computer at home makes it
easier, but you do NOT have to own a
computer for an online class.
• Students can access computers on the
campus in several locations (the
Learning Resource Center, and the
Business Computer lab, for example) or
at other district colleges.
• Some students complete online classes
from work (with permission from their
employer, of course).
• Know how to use a web browser.
• Know how to use an email program.
• Know how to make and organize bookmarks in your
• Some familiarity with web-based interactions
bulletin boards, chat and mailing lists will also be
• Some familiarity with word processing.
• Experience in successful Internet searches using a
variety of search engines.
Answer: • As in a regular face-to-face class, your
instructor expects that you will adhere to
• Participate with appropriate consideration
for each other and for the instructor.
• Your emails and web postings should:
On the topic at hand
Should reflect a professional demeanor
• Another section of the orientation will demonstrate some of the
online tools that we’ll use for the course.
• You can read the written instructions or watch the video
• Online links
• Try our FREE sample class
• Overview of Desire2Learn at Los Rios eLearning
• Login to Desire2Learn at Los Rios eLearning