Aims & Objectives – Todays Lesson
• You will understand the difference between secondary/primary
research & quantitative/qualitative research.
• You will be able to identify different sources of research, and
• You will understand the different purposes of research and their
You have been asked to research the impact of
the representation of gender in contemporary
The research will be used for a new
documentary to be shown in schools & colleges.
Where to start?
Original research to obtain new information using
techniques such as interviews, questionnaires and
Research using information already gathered by
other people or organisations. Often available in
books, magazines and websites.
Research based on measurable facts and
information that can be counted, producing
numerical and statistical data.
Research that is based on opinions, attitudes
and preferences, rather than facts and figures.
“Pop stars are, to some extent, symbolic vehicles
with which young women understand themselves
more fully, even if, by doing so, they partly shape
their personalities to fit the stars alleged
• How many have watched this video?
• How many of you liked this music video?