SELIMIYE MOSQUE,EDİRNE The Selimiye Mosque is an Ottoman mosque in the city ofEdirne, Turkey. The mosque wascommissioned by Sultan Selim IIand was built by architect Mimar Sinan between 1569 and 1575. It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture
BIG ISLAND, ISTANBUL Big island consists of two peaks. The onenearest to the iskele (ferry landing), İsaTepesi (meaning Jesus Hill in Turkish) istopped by the former Greek orphanage, ahuge wooden building now in decay. In thevalley between the two hills sit the churchand monastery of Agios Nikolaos. Princess Fahrelnissa Zeid was born in 1901 on the island. For the first half of the 20th century, the island was popular among prosperous Greeks, Jews, Armenians and Turks.The population of the island today is about 7,000 people. As on the other eight islands, motorized vehicles – except service vehicles – are forbidden, so visitors explore the island by foot, bicycle, in horse-drawn carriages, or by riding donkeys.
EPHESUS, IZMIR Ephesus was an ancient Greek city, and later amajor Roman city , on the west coast Selcuk, aprovince of Izmir,. It was one of the twelve citiesof the Ionian League during the ClassicalGreek era. In the Roman period, it was for manyyears the second largest city of the RomanEmpire; ranking behind Rome, the empirescapital. Ephesus was one of the seven churches ofAsia that are cited in the Book ofRevelation. The Gospel of John may have beenwritten here. The city was the site of several 5thcentury Christian Councils. It is also the site of alarge gladiators graveyard. Archaeological remains at Ephesus elegantly reconciles historic conservation with accessibility for visitors. In 356 BC the Greeks built the Artemesium (a colossal Ionic temple dedicated to Artemis, the fertility goddess) which was one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world. During the 2nd century BC, Ephesus was the fourth largest city in the eastern Roman Empire, famous for its Artemesium, the Library of Celsus and its medical school.It became the leading seaport of the region. Its wealth was proverbial.
SEFERIHISAR ,IZMIR Seferihisar is located within the borders ofİzmir in the Aegean region. The oldestsettlement on Seferihisar district grounds isTeos, thought to be a Carian city, establishedby Cretans that escaped from the Akas in 2000B.C. Among Seferihisar’s strong points are itsfamous mandarins, its sun, rich geothermaland wind energy resources, and historicalriches. CITTASLOW SEFERIHISAR The term Cittaslow, derived from the Italian word Citta (city) and the English word Slow, means calm city. Seferihisar is the first town in Turkey that has become the member of Cittaslow association. The concept of Cittaslow became a road map for local governments, and protects the future of the towns.
MANYAS LAKE, BALIKESIR• Lake Manyas which is also called Bird Lake is a lake in western Turkey, located in the Bandırma region. An estimated 255 species of birds visit Bird Paradise National park at the edge of Kuş Gölü,the lake formerly known as Manyas Gölü located on the great migratory paths between Europe and Asia, the park is a happy combination of plant cover,reed beds and a lake that supports at least 20 species of fish. Manyas Lake is an important site for breeding and wintering waterbirds.More than 270 species of birds have been recorded at the lake. Important bird species include White-headed Duck, Eurasian Spoonbill , Greater Flamingo , plus breeding populations of the vulnerable Dalmatian Pelican. Migrating Great White Pelicans often roost at the lake.
DOLMABAHÇE PALACE• Dolmabahçe Palace located in Istanbul, Turkey, on the European coastline of the Bosphorus strait, served as the main administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from 1856 to 1922, apart from a 22-year interval in which Yıldız Palace was used. Dolmabahçe Palace was ordered by the Empires 31st Sultan, Abdülmecid I, and built between the years 1843 and 1856. Dolmabahçe Palace was home to six sultans from 1856, when it was first inhabited, up until the abolition of the Caliphate in 1924. The last royal to live here was Caliph Abdülmecid Efendi. A law that went into effect on March 3, 1924 transferred the ownership of the palace to the national heritage of the new Turkish Republic. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder and first President of the Republic of Turkey, used the palace as a presidential residence during the summers and enacted some of his most important works here. Atatürk spent the last days of his medical treatment in this palace, where he died on November 10, 1938
KEKOVA-SIMENA, ANTALYA Kekova is a small island near Kaş ,a district of Antalya province.Simena is a popular Lycian site, situated upon one of the most attractive spots of the Turkish coast. Kekova means "plain of thyme" and describes the region encompassing the island of Kekova, the villages of Kaleköy and Üçağiz and the three ancient towns of Simena, Teimussa and shipyard, as its bay was the site of an ancient shipyard, with mostly Byzantine ruins. Both Simena and Teimussa have a large necropolis. Teimussa is now the village of Üçağiz, where boats set off for tours of the area.The Kekova region was declared a SpeciallyProtected Area in 1990 to protect the natural,cultural and geographic richness of KekovaIsland and surrounding coast. Kekova-Simenais an enjoyable place to visit for its greatbeauty and charm. It is a peaceful place ofhistory, gorgeous turquoise water, sun,islands, unspoilt nature .
The city is a charming mix of ancient,medieval and modern history making itinteresting. It had been used as thecommercial and military base of this areasince the 5th century BC. In ancient timesSimena was a small fishing village and waslater an outpost of the Knights of Rhodes .On its northern side there are the partlysunken ruins of an ancient town which wasdestroyed by an earthquake during the 2ndcentury. The dockyard with the ruins of a Byzantine church is at the northwest and half of the houses are submerged and staircases descended into the water. Basements of buildings and the ancient harbor are also seen below the sea.
ANI RUINS, KARS St Marys Cathedral began to beconstructed as the cathedral of Ani in the citycenter in 1010 on the time of Sembat II. Itwas completed during Gagik I. After theconquest of Ani by Alpaslan in 1064 was usedas a mosque.It was damaged by theearthquake in 1319 and was restored byarchitect Tiridot. This building is among thebest preserved structures in this area. Church of the Apostles on the south slope of the Kars Castle church is in the Old City neighborhood well-preserved to this day. It was built between the years 932-937 by King Abbas Bagrat who built the capital city of Kars. After a long time been used as a church building turned into a mosque by Seljuks in 1064. It was used as a church again until 1878. In 1890 the church was built next to the bell tower was demolished in 1918.
ISHAK PASHA PALACE, AGRI• Ishak Pasha Palace is a semi-ruined palace and administrative complex located in the Doğubeyazıt district of Ağrı province of eastern Turkey. The Ishak Pasha palace is an Ottoman-period palace whose construction was started in 1685 by Colak Abdi Pasha, the bey of Beyazit province. According to the inscription on its door, the Harem Section of the palace was completed by his grandson Ishak Pasha in 1784. The Palace is more of a complex than a palace; it is the second administrative campus after the Topkapı Palace in Istanbul and the most The palace is built on a hill at the side of a famous of the palaces built in recent mountain 5 km east of Doğubeyazıt. It was the decades. last large monumental structure in the Ottoman Empire from the "Lale Devri" period. It is one of the most distinguished and magnificent examples of the 18th century Ottoman architecture and is very valuable in terms of art history.As the ground building sits on is a valley slope, it is rocky and hard.The İshak Pasha Palace is a rare example of the historical Turkish palaces with a central heating system.The characteristic property of the palace is its combined Ottoman, Persian, and Seljuk architectural style.
CILO MOUNTAIN,HAKKARIThe Cilo-Sat Mountains, within the southeasternHakkari province are the eastern extension of theToros (Taurus) mountain chain, which stretchesfrom west to east along Turkey`s southernboundaries. At 4136 meters, the Uludoruk summitis the highest in the Cilo Mountains and theCatalkaya , which rises to 3794 meters, it is thehighest peak in the Sat Mountains The climate, geographical location and topography all synergizes to make the Cilo Sat Mountains an alluring location for mountaineers and outdoor adventure enthusiasts. The snow-clad peaks, icy glaciers and swiftly flowing rivers make a picture perfect world. The months of June, July and August are the best for summer excursions, while February and March are the most suitable months for winter climbing.