• map out what needs to be said, when
• include all ‘known communications’ e.g.
financial results, operational and
• add training comms e.g. health and
safety, cyber security topics
• add 'slow burn' content e.g. culture,
• include other departments' comms
requests e.g. marketing's new product
launches, IT's new software
• target recipient by message to avoid
• send the right information to the right
people at the right time
• only send recipients content that directly
related to them to avoid information
• categorize employees according to their
channel preferences i.e. remote workers
• categorize employees by department,
location and grades
• remember, your channel is as important
as your message, so think carefully
about which channel you use
• create a matrix and plan preferred
channel with message type
• create a list of anticipated IC scenarios,
the desired outcome, and the staff’s
• consider alternative channels to email
for important notifications. Desktop
alerts, scrolling tickers, screensavers,
and digital newsletters are good options
• link the performance metrics to the
overall company objectives
• use internal communication software to
accurately measure the impact of your
• introduce mechanisms such as survey
and quizzes, to capture staff feedback
• don’t be tempted to cherry-pick the best
results in analysing the data
• be prepared for some rises and falls.
There are lots of variables that influence
the success of any measure, many of
which are external forces
• know when to use the right internal
• be flexible and open-minded in how
your message could be improved
• use humour, eye-catching visuals, story-
telling, employee-generated content and
• tap into your creative colleagues, such
as marketing, if you need help
• focus on the 'why'. If people understand
the reason behind your communication,
they'll be inclined to respond favorably
IC is no longer an afterthought for organizations.
To do it well requires targeting, audience
understanding, engaging multi-channel content,
and a desire to continually improve.
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT
SnapComms is a global leader in internal communications software,
serving many of the world’s largest organizations.
Visit our website to learn more about our tools.
Or click here to get a free 30 day trial of SnapComms.
Every organization has diverse internal
communication needs. Contact us to
discuss yours with our experts.
REQUEST A QUOTE
For a personalized quote for your
business, email us here:
FREE 30 DAY TRIAL
No obligation, no credit card required.
Don’t just take our word for it:
START YOUR TRIAL