Who am I?
– Datacenter Business Development (NTT DATA Corp. Ltd.)
– OpenSource Database Engineer (NTT DATA Corp. Ltd.)
– Public Relations Director (Japan PostgreSQL Users Group)
– Database Developer (Fujitsu)
– Web Programmer (Crayfish Co. Ltd.)
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 2
PostgreSQL’s past topics
– No problem. Excellent.
• Scalability (Scaling up & Scaling out)
– PostgreSQL works well on 16-way SMP.
– We have some scaling-out replication solutions.
– A built-in replication is coming. (Thanks hackers!)
– We have a warm-standby feature.
– Also we have some replication solutions.
– We have a “HOT” feature.
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 3
PostgreSQL’s next topic is…
(just my opinion)
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 5
“Cloud” Generation Computing
• Lots of servers
– Multi-core processors
– Commodity (cheaper) hardware
• Lots of software
– We love OSS!
• … needs lots of admins?
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 6
“Cloud” Generation Administration
• “Cloud” is a datacenter-centric architecture.
• In “Cloud” generation, we have to do many
admin tasks on many virtual/physical servers
and many software, with fewer admins.
• So “Monitoring and Administration” is the key
to the next generation infrastructure.
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 7
Monitoring and Administration requirements
• We need to monitor and check…
– Processor and memory usage
– Database size and I/O traffics
– Cache hit ratio
– Transactions and backend activity
– Slow queries
– etc, etc, …
I want to do them easily on many servers and
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 8
• pgperf/StatsKit consists of several SQL
scripts and shell scripts to report PG stats.
– Inspired by Oracle StatsPack ☺
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 12
Project Goal (Future plan)
• Performance monitoring as a web service
– supports DBA’s management tasks.
Client database stats
stats with chart
PostgreSQL - What's Next? 13