Harmful Effect Of Computers On Environment - EWASTE
Harmful Effects of Computers On
Why THIS topic????
• 36 million PCs in INDIA only.
• About 30 people per 1 PC ratio.
• Geysers are used in winters and
Air Conditioners in Summers BUT COMPUTERS 24*7 all over the
IN 10 YEARS:
100 million PCs in INDIA
About 12:1 ratio per PC
WE yet do not know that COMPUTERS (which we stick to
everyday) DO HARM OUR ENVIRONMENT.
So there is a need for MASS AWARENESS about it.
What all Présentation Includes???
• Need for this Presentation.
• E-WASTE (Computer waste Being a part of Ewaste).
• Effects of computer on environment.
• Disposal of computer waste.
• NComputing (Green Computing)
• What can we do to save our Environment from
• What about the companies which make the
« THE ‘ NEED’ ?? »
The sale of computers is growing …….
And that too EXPONENTIALLY^^^^
The Impact of So Many PCs on the
Generate 1.8 million metric tons of e-Waste.
The Impact of So Many PCs on the
Emit 118 Million Metric tons of CO2 emissions/year
The Impact of So Many PCs on the
Computer products often contain hazardous and toxic
materials that pose environmental risks if they are landfill or
Computer monitor use cathode ray tubes (CRTs), which have
major amounts of lead.
Printed circuit boards contain primarily plastic and copper,
and most have small amounts of chromium, lead solder,
nickel, and zinc.
In addition, many computers have batteries that often contain
nickel, cadmium, and other heavy metals.
• Computer generated
waste Is a part of
• Electronic Waste pr “e-waste” is a
waste consisting of any broken or
electrical or electronic appliance.
• Term used to describe old, end of
life or discarded appliances using
electricity and battery.
• It is a point of concern
considering that many
components of such
considered toxic and are
SOURCES OF E-WASTE
The table constitutes composition
of various electronics equipments.
• 0-10% - Monitors and Televisions
• 10-15% - Computers , Telephones,
• 15-20% - Refrigerators
• 20-30% - Washing machines,
Dryers, Coffee Machines, Irons etc.
PRESENT IN E-WASTE
There are many
used in computers
lead , cadmium,
mercury and plastics.
Who gets the Thrash?
• According to an estimate
India generates nearly 2
lakh tons of E-waste
• And added to this another
0.5 0.5-1 lakh ton/annually
dumped into the country as
• The cities in India
generating and receiving ewaste are Ahmedabad,
Bangalore, Bombay ,Delhi,
Chennai, Kolkata etc
THE CURRENT SCENARIO IN
E-WASTE PILING UP
Mumbai - 11, 017 tonnes
Delhi -9,730 tonnes
Bangalore - 4,648 tonnes
Chennai - 4,132 tonnes
Kolkata - 4,025 tonnes
Ahmedabad - 3,287 tonnes
Hyderabad- 2,833 tonnes
Pune - 2,584 tonnes
Surat - 1,836 tonnes
Harmful Effects of Computer
• Microchips are made out of Silicon Wafers that produce
extravagant amount of pollution.
• Producing wafers cost us 4,267 cubic
feet of bulk gases, 27 pounds of
chemicals, 29 cubic feet of hazardous
gases and 9 pounds of hazardous
• Manufacturing of a normal PC approx. 30'000 mega joule in
energy are used.
• As the demand for larger monitors and more memory chips
grows due to developments in multimedia, so does the level
of toxins and fumes released into the environment
contributing even more to the problem.
• Pollution caused by computers has a large effect on society. It
has effects on the environment due to paper consumption,
• Disease by computer
• The more new computer models produced, the more old
models get thrown out.
• Actually 90--92% of the computer components can be reused
but it is rarely done.
• E-waste cannot be dumped into the ground and has to be
thrown out somewhere that is why it takes a lot of place to
keep the garbage.
• Burning the whole lot causes harmful pollution to the
environment . The major pollutant from this is CO2
• How to manage computer waste
• How to dispose computer waste
Methods of Safe and Clean Electronic
Redesign of computer components
Updated Sorting Methods
Samples taken of soil, air, and water
in areas surrounding disposal sites
• Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment.
• Came into force in 1st July 2007
• Moto to dispose E-waste in echo friendly
WEEE CATEGORIES OF EQUIPMENT
• Household appliances—
Ex-: Cooling appliances,Refrigerators, Washing machines etc.
• IT Instruments—
Ex-: Mini Computers, printers etc.
• Electrical and electronic tools—
Ex-: Drills, Solder etc.
• Monitoring and control instruments—
Ex-: Smoke detector,Heating regulators.
Maximize your investment in PCs by sharing their
excess power with many users for as little as $70
Up to 11 users on a low-cost desktop Hundreds of
users on a server.
How It NComputing Virtual
1) NComputing vSpace desktop virtualization software creates virtual
independent desktops inside one Windows or Linux PC.
2) NComputing User eXtension Protocol (UXP) delivers an efficient,
secure, multimedia interface.
3) NComputing access devices are small, silent, energy-efficient,
reliable, and very
Greenest Computing on Earth
• Cut Electricity 90%
• – Only use 1 to 5 watts of electricity
(compared to 110 watts or PCs)
• – Radically cut electricity costs and carbon
• – Lower heat generation means cooler work
• No Obsolescence
• – Solid state device has 10 year life and no
moving parts to fail
• – Only one PC to replace/upgrade and many
• Reduce e-waste
• – NComputing devices only weigh 100 grams
(compared to 10 kg for PCs)
CRT monitors contains significant amounts of lead .
LCD contains LEDs which consume less power and has better display
• Video Card
No video card
use a shared terminal, shared thin client, or desktop sharing software
if display required.
• Operating System Support
• Terminal Server
When using the system, users at a terminal connect to a central
server; all of the actual computing is done on the server, but the end
user experiences the operating system on the terminal.
These can be combined with thin clients, which use up to 1/8 the
amount of energy of a normal workstation, resulting in a decrease of
energy costs and consumption.
• Laptop instead of PC
Saves up to 70 % of energy consumptions
• Use a Ecofriendly search engine
some search engines like EcoSearch.org, donate a
portion of their profit for environmental cause
• Green-Rated Equipments
Use equipment made of recycle components
• Product Longevity
Many hazardous products are used in
manufacture therefore upgrading the pc is better
• Use plants near P.C.’s
Place plants especially cactus near P.C.’s which
can absorb most of the radiation.
What can WE do???
• First, do not throw away your old Computers!
• If they are still working donate them so they
can be reused.
• If they are no longer and you want to recycle
them in a responsible way…..
What can WE do???(cont…)
• Website allows you to search for
responsible recycler in your
• ….if there aren’t any it provides
advice on how to learn if the
manufacturer of your product
offers responsible recycling
• Some, like Apple’s TakeBack
Program allow consumers to
• Dell also will take back their
« « ..PLEDGE.. » »
• Whatever we have learnt we’ll
implement it in our LIFE.
• We’ll always try to search some
ways to make our environment
BETTER , BETTER and even