Presentation by Birgit Olberg (Germany) at the Study Visit Group No: 183 (CEDEFOP) , “Educational cooperation with professional institutions to promote language skills 2014″.
Teacher training in Germany
The way to professionalism
Where I come from 16 different federal
ZfsL (Zentrum für schulpraktische Ausbildung), Siegen / North Rhine-Westfalia
What are the components of our 18-month teacher training?
How do our student teachers train?
• 1. at a school • 4 days a week
• 12 lessons to give
• Partly supervised by another
• Partly on their own authority
• They pick their instructors /
teacher they want to learn
• They are acompanied by a
coordinator responsible for all
student teachers at one school
How do they train?
• 2. at the
seminar / teacher
• 1 day per week
• 3 consecutive lessons
(110 min. each) in their
specific subjects and
Prof. Dr. Peter
What do they learn?
• As a start:
Basic instruction in methodology in a 4-week intensive course
at their teacher trainer‘s school
• After that at the teacher trainer centre:
Planning, carrying out and reflecting a lesson
The legal side of school
How to cope with children and young adults
The final exam
• Presentation of a 10-page draft of each lesson
• Holding 2 lessons in their specific subjects
• + Reflection of each lesson given
• + 45‘ colloquium on general didactic aspects
Everything evaluated by a board of 3