Regra Geral: Para passar uma oração para a voz passiva, coloca-se o verbo to be no
mesmo tempo verbal do verbo principal da oração na ativa, que é necessariamente
passado para o particípio.
Isto é, voz passiva é:
am / is / are (not)
was / were (not)
is / are being + PARTICIPLE
was / were being ex: done, taken, grow, etc.
would / may be
has / have been
Lista de transformações:
writes (simple present)
is / are written
was / were written
was / were writing (past continous)
was / were being written
have / has written (present perfect)
has / have been written
had written (past perfect)
had been written
would write (conditional)
would be written
will write that letter. (Eles escreverão aquela carta).
That letter will be written by them. (Aquela carta será escrita por eles).
Note que ambas as orações são compostas da seguinte forma:
Sujeito+Verbo+Objeto, e o que é objeto em uma é sujeito na outra.
Somebody cleans the office every day. (Alguém limpa o escritório todo
The office is cleaned every day. (O escritório é limpo todo dia).
Note a mudança do verbo: na oração na voz ativa o verbo se encontra apenas
no Simple Present, já na voz passiva existe uma locução verbal entre o verbo to
be no presente e o verbo principal clean no particípio cleaned.
•Somebody cleaned the office yesterday. (Alguém limpou o escritório
The office was cleaned yesterday. (O escritório foi limpo ontem).
•People have watched the World Cup. (As pessoas assistiram à Copa do
The World Cup have been watched. (A Copa do Mundo foi assistida – veja
que, no português padrão, não existe a forma passiva dessa oração, já que o
Note, que neste caso não há necessidade de inserir “by people” (pelas pessoas)
“Guernica” was painted by Picasso. (“Guernica” foi pintada por Picasso).
•South Africa produces about half of the world’s gold. (A África do Sul
About half of the world’s gold is produced by South Africa. (Cerca de
metade do ouro do mundo é produzida pela África do Sul).
•Anyone can plant a tree. (Qualquer um pode plantar uma árvore).
A tree can be planted by anyone. (Uma árvore pode ser plantada por
•Shakespeare wrote “Romeo and Juliet”. (Shakespeare escreveu “Romeu
“Romeo and Juliet” was written by Shakespeare. (“Romeu e Julieta” foi
•Somebody is painting the door. (Alguém está pintando a porta).
The door is being painted. (A porta está sendo pintada).
verbo to be (no mesmo tempo em que estava o verbo da voz
ativa) + Past Participle (do verbo da ativa)
Voz ativa: Jane writes a letter.
Voz passiva: A letter is written by Jane.
Active: Susan closed the door.
Passive: The door was closed by Susan
1. O Complemento directo (the door) na frase activa
corresponde ao sujeito na frase passiva
2. O sujeito (Susan) na frase activa corresponde na passiva ao
agente da passiva que é sempre introduzido pela
3. A passiva forma-se com o verbo to be (no tempo do verbo
principal da frase activa) + o particípio passado do verbo
4. A penas os verbos transitivos, ou seja, aqueles que exigem
um complemento directo e / ou indirecto, podem ser
colocados na voz passiva.
5. O agente da passiva é omitido quando o sujeito da activa é
indefinido, vago, desconhecido, impessoal ou óbvio, sendo
normalmente designado na activa por one, they, you,
somebody, nobody, everyone, etc.
6. 1 – Rewrite the following sentences in the passive voice.
7. a) I will take the children to the cinema.
8. b) The girls have prepared this delicious cake.
9. c) The students wrote these interesting texts about the school trip.
10. d) The customers have just read the notice.
11. e) Many people study English at language schools.
12. f) The Smiths bought the green house.
13. g) We should give teenagers an opportunity to get a job.
14. h) Everybody can visit the cathedral from 1 pm to 6 pm.
15. i) A taxi drove them home.
16. j) Someone is repairing the damage in our building.
17. k) Lots of teenagers watch this programme every day.
18. l) I can’t exchange the shoes without a receipt.
19. m) We must vacate the room by 12 pm.
20. n) Someone has stolen my car.
21. o) She was asked about her name and address. (Someone)
22. p) Educators should tell the students about the harmful influence of popular
culture.( The students)
23. q) The popular commercial culture often shows us negative pictures of the
24. r) They followed more than 10,000 people over 6 years. (More than)
25. s) Bad sleeping affects productivity and health. (Productivity)
26. t) The risk takers and visionaries of this agency have expanded human
knowledge. (Human knowledge)
27. u) Somebody has answered the letter. (The letter)
28. v) People are studying foreign languages (foreign languages)
29. w) The students will prepare the assignment. (the assignment)
30. x) They will install a new computer centre in the university. (a new computer
31. y) A fire is threatening the university library. (the university library)
32. z) The professors were discussing the problem when we arrived. (the
33. aa) Many people speak English all over the world. (English)
34. bb) They received a letter from relatives who live in Paris. (a letter)
35. cc) In some countries many people use their mobile phones to send e-mail
messages. (mobile phones)
36. dd) Sarah is sending an e-mail. (An e-mail)
37. ee) They are searching for a criminal. (A criminal)
38. ff) They reported a cyber crime. (a cyber crime)
39. gg) They told me about the disaster. (I)
3 - Passive with modals
a) I gave him a present.( He)
b) She is reading the textbook.( The textbook)
c) Somebody sent me a card. (I)
d) They can't express their feelings.( Their feelings)
e) People must respect the others. (The others)
f) They could be judged. (People)
g) We can prevent the destruction of old documents. (the
destruction of old documents)
h) Living abroad can change our view of the world. (our view of
i) I can send you the assignment later. (You)
– Rewrite the following sentences in the passive voice.
a. The children will be taken to the cinema.
b. This delicious cake has been prepared by the girls.
c. These interesting texts about the school trip were written by the students.
d. The notice has just been read by the customers.
e. English is studied (by many people) at language schools (by many people).
f. The green house was bought by the Smiths.
g. Teenagers should be given an opportunity to get a job.
h. The cathedral can be visited from 1 pm to 6 pm.
i. They were driven home by a taxi.
j. The damage in our building is being repaired.
k. This programme is watched (by lots of teenagers) every day (by lots of
l. The shoes can't be exchanged without a receipt.
m. The room must be vacated by 12 pm.
n. My car has been stolen.
o. Someone asked about her name and address.
p. The students should be told about the harmful influence of popular culture
q. We are often showed negative pictures of the Arabs by the popular
r. More than 10,000 people were followed (by them).
s. Productivity and health are affected by bad sleeping.
t. Human knowledge has been expanded by the risk takers and visionaries of
u. The letter has been answered.
v. Foreign languages are being studied.
w. The assignment will be prepared by the students.
x. A new computer centre will be installed (by them) in the university.
y. The university library is being threaded by a fire.
z. The problem was being discussed by the professors when we arrived.
aa. English is spoken all over the world by many people.
bb. A letter was received from relatives who live in Paris (by them).
cc. Mobile phones are used to send e-mail messages in some countries by
dd. An e-mail is being sent by Sarah.
ee. A criminal is being searched for (by them).
ff. A cyber crime was reported (by them).
gg. I was told about the disaster (by them).
3 - Passive with modals
a) He was given by me a present.
b) The textbook is being read by her.
c) I was sent a card.
d) Their feelings can’t be expressed (by them).
e) The others must be respect.
f) People could judge them.
g) The destruction of old documents can be prevent by us.
h) Our view of the world can be changed by living abroad.
i) You can be sent the