Presented at Black Hat 2014.
Heartbleed. Target. Adobe … businesses are under siege by cybercriminals looking for financial gain and political actors looking for trade secrets. It’s a wildly uneven match where a motivated attacker can find exploitable attack vectors in minutes and maintain unabated access for months, while the security team continues to rely on time-honored methodology to fix vulnerabilities in order of severity.
But severity-based vulnerability management misses the mark completely, as it overlooks the fact that risk exposure is the real concern. This workshop will focus on identifying critical vulnerabilities so they can be fixed as quickly as possible to ensure a reduction in risk and the shrinking the attack surface over time.
In this deep dive session on vulnerability analysis and prioritization, we’ll cover:
- Calculating risk exposure: Risk = Impact * Likelihood * Time
- The data you need to be collecting about assets and vulnerabilities
- Prioritizing vulnerabilities using simple 2 factor relationships
- Asset-to-vulnerability correlation to augment the accuracy and freshness of active scan data
- Techniques to drive down the risk exposure time