I am Abhinav Sabharwal
You can find me at Skyabhinav@gmail.com
How Managers View Agile
● It's the senior & middle managers who need
more motivation for this change than the teams
● Few managers feel that Agile will create a
huge chaos in their well-organized teams.
● It is precived as just a way for a team member
or vendor-partners to shy away from SLAs.
● Traditional managers just love the reward-
punishment system and hold vendor-partners
accountable by keeping on to SLAs
Some of the Concerns are
● It can become very chaotic when teams are in
the so-called agile way of working.
● Any business can come in with a change at any
point in time and expect it to be implemented!
● There will be no documentation, how would we
refer details later.
● No one takes ownership when things go wrong.
There is merit in what concerns the managers
have. At times all these can be true if Agile is not
followed in true spirit.
● The intent of any agile methodology is not to
be unplanned or chaotic, at all.
● We have to be very well planned. Planned for
shorter spans, though.
● No one can disturb the sprint. It is locked till
the sprint is over,
● There are minimal or no unpredictable events
during the sprint.
● Techniques like the scrum of scrums and scaled
agile release train keeps all items well
Change At Any Stage
● The team listens to only one person, and that
is their product owner.
● All requirements from any stakeholders have to
go via team's product owner.
● This way it is more disciplined and better
● It is a chance to validate actual need for the
● Story cards are better than pages and pages
of documentation with not much face to
● The development team does not wait for
● There is a lot of face to face
communication and clarification happeing
● Documentation can happen in parallel to
● Documentation is lean as per the business
● Reward and punishment system ends up
wasting a lot of time productive time & results
into a blame game and finding fault in people
● While working in an agile way, there is a sense
of belongingness towards the common vision
● Product/application is nurtured by teams. That
keeps ownership sitting with the entire team
(not just one person).
● This becomes reason for keeping things
running on the track.
9You can find me at Skyabhinav@gmail.com