A Little About Me
Redwood Valley Technical Solutions
Wife and Mother
I’ve been called:
• Web Designer
• Internet Developer
• WordPress Designer
• Social Media Marketer
• Social Media Consultant
• Geek and Nerd
• Passionate about the Web
• Not Scared to Share My Opinion
• Addicted to my Devices
• Always Connected……..
Me with my Social Media Mentor – Mari Smith
Social Media is a
supported by online tools.
The intersection of
technology and social
interaction to create, share,
or connect online.
78% of consumers search
online before buying a
product and 66% of these
people purchase on the
Social Media & SEO
Social Media & Business
People still do business with
people they like, know and trust.
9/22/2013Footer Text 8
Helpful Is The New Viral
What Is Twitter for
1. Communication Tool
2. Listening Tool
3. Research Tool
4. Traffic and Lead Generation Tool
Why Twitter For Business?
1. Your Profile
2. Tweet - Your Message with 140 Characters
3. Followers and Following
5. Links & Images
6. Retweets & Favorites
7. Send a Direct Message (DM)
8. @ Mentions & Interactions
1. Make sure your profile is complete.
2. Add a Photo or Logo for your profile image.
3. Create a custom background with your
4. Create a cover photo that works with your
profile image and text
5. Complete all information! Use key words and
terms in your descriptions.
**Go to the Gear in the upper right hand corner of
the page > Settings > Profile & Design
1. A Tweet is your Twitter Message
2. Limited to 140 Characters including
hashtags, mentions and links.
3. Use the Compose New Tweet box on the
top right or the box below your profile
4. Add photos and locations
5. Tells you # of characters remaining
Followers & Following
1. People can follow you, if your profile is public
(not protected) - suggested for business.
2. Follow industry leaders, customers and people
talking about your interests or industry.
3. Follow others who follow you (if appropriate)
4. Use the #Discover Tab to find people to follow
by Tweets, Activity, Who To Follow, Find
Friends via Email and Search & Categories
5. You can see who follows other people and
follow them as well.
1. Hashtags are searchable terms based on a
conversation that begin with the pound sign
and does not have spaces.
2. People use #hashtags to search interests,
topics of discussion, products and services.
3. Try to use #hashtags at least 50% of the time
and make them specific.
4. Create hashtags out of keywords in your tweet
#socialmedia #twitterforbiz #WordPress
#Hashtags for Biz
1. Holding an event? Create a hashtag.
2. Search for your business name or
products – talk with tweeters, see if
you can help – but don’t always try to
3. Search for people talking about your
industry, business or products and
interact with them. #webdesign
Links & Images
1. Links are vital to Social Media Success!
Add a link to your
website, blog, videos, other social
profiles to market your business.
2. Simply Copy and Paste a Link URL into
your Tweet (usually at the end)
3. Add images to your tweets for visual
appeal and interest.
4. Shorten links with bit.ly or HootSuite
1. You can Retweet other people’s
Tweets to share the message with
2. Use RT in front of the message or use
the Retweet button.
3. Inspires others to Retweet your tweets
to grow your reach and spread your
and receive a
free cup of
1. You can Favorite other tweets – this adds a
star to the tweet on your profile.
2. Similar to a Facebook Like – the tweeter
gets a notification as well.
3. See what you have favorited – visit the Me
4. See what others have favorited by looking
at their profile.
1. Send a private message to people
who follow you.
2. Use the Direct Message menu below
the Gear Icon or use “DM”
3. Still limited to 140 characters
1. Create conversation by mentioning
a profile (@pagename)
2. Mentions show up on your page and
their page too.
3. Use @mention to talk back and
forth or just “mention” or give them
props – a referral.
1. Interactions are Mentions, Retweets,
Favorites and New Followers
2. Visit the @Connect Tab to view all
of your Interactions
1. Interactions are
Mentions, Retweets, Favorites and
2. Visit the @Connect Tab to view all
of your Interactions
1. Trending topics are the most popular
#hashtags or terms at any given time.
2. Trending Topics appear on the left column
of your Twitter Page.
3. Trending Topics can be based on your
location and who you follow.
4. Click on the hashtag to see all
conversations around the trending topic.
1. Create Lists to categorize and segment your
2. Lists can be public or private.
3. Others can subscribe to your lists too if they
4. Lists can be open or locked – only you can add
members to it.
5. Your lists are displayed on your profile page
on the left hand side.
1. Vines are 6 second
videos on Twitter
2. Get creative and
brand with video.
3. iPhone / iPad –
coming to Android
1. Twitter is great for real time news and
2. More than 450 million tweets are
created every day.
3. Use Twitter Search for People, topics,
locations, #hashtags, conversations
1. Understand the words and phrases
that your potential customers are
2. Use those words and phrases to
solve their problems – Tweet with
those terms and use #hashtags too
3. Use twitter to monitor those topics
and even engage and be helpful.
1. Use Twitter to find out what your
competition is up to.
2. Gather ideas and inspiration from
industry leaders using Twitter
3. Who are your prospects following
and interacting with?
Twitter is Fast and Fun
How Can You Help?
1. Make a list of all the questions clients
and prospects ask you – answer them!
2. Share tweets on the unique features of
your products or services – how does
it benefit a buyer?
3. Tell stories of your clients – get people
to relate and inspire them!
How To Use Twitter…
1. Build Relationships through Conversations
2. Search for Topics and #hashtags to create conversations
on, retweet valuable tweets, mentions others, etc.
3. Follow your influencers and leaders in your industry.
4. Inspired people to take action! Use #hashtags often.
5. Include links to your website & blog.
6. Always use a call to action where possible.
7. Remember, people are researching before buying or even
calling. Share valuable and helpful information on social
networks so they look to you as an influencer in your industry.