SkillsMatter June 16, 2010
Janet Gregory, DragonFire Inc.
My experience comes …
As a QA Manager, Tester, Coach
Working on agile teams
Coaching and training
1. What is Agile? (one slide)
2. What is organizational culture?
3. Why is culture important?
4. Sustaining agile across the organization
5. Sustaining agile within the team
DragonFire Inc. 3
• A set of principles rather than a particular model
o Priority is customer satisfaction
o Delivery of valuable software, frequently
o Welcome changing requirements
o Continual collaboration and feedback
o Supportive environment
o Continuous improvement
o Technical excellence
DragonFire Inc. 4
• Defined by its
• Social System
• Collective Beliefs
• Visible Artifacts
Copyright 2010 6
• Design of an organization
• Decision making process
• History of an organization
• Personal values
Copyright 2010 7
• What is visible?
• Individual contribution
• Rewards and recognition
• Customer focused?
• Reactive vs.. responsive?
• Is it a learning organization
• Values, beliefs, mission statements
It’s relatively simple for one team to
adapt to agile, make the values’ their
own, and follow the principles.
Two aspects …..
1. How to spread the existing development
agile culture to the rest of the
2. How to sustain the agile culture within
the development team?
• Q1: How to spread the
existing development agile
culture to the rest of the
Copyright 2010 12
1. Lack of executive sponsorship
2. Dysfunction at the management level
3. Heavy processes in place
4. Outside influences
5. Balance of pressures
Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lincioni
Copyright 2010 13
• Understand the agile principles
• Support your teams
• Don’t break up the band .....
• Think what problem you are trying to solve
◦ Reports? Metrics?
◦ Quality Models
DragonFire Inc. 14
• Team expresses courage
◦ They say no to the stakeholder for the overall
benefit of the product
• Team’s declared velocity is less than you
• Team asks for help when they are trying to
• Team looks for simplicity
DragonFire Inc. 16
And always, strive for quality!
• Lean Software Development, (all 3 books), Mary &
• Succeeding with Agile, Addison Wesley 2009, Mike
DragonFire Inc. 23
Agile Testing: A Practical
Guide for Testers and Agile
By Lisa Crispin and Janet Gregory
My contact info
DragonFire Inc. 24
Credit: Max F Williams – flickr.com