Business English Competition
4th February, 2014
• For questions 1-5, decide which article
(A-H) would be suitable for each person
to read. Do not use any letter more than
A. Managing your Supply Chain.
B. Keep your Data Secure on the Road
C. The Ten Most Important Leadership Traits
D. Five Easy Steps to Increasing Your Web Traffic
E. Unusual Venues for Corporate Events
• Circle the letter of the correct answer: a, b or
1. She was in charge of ______________
all the web graphics.
• A. create
• B. to create
• C. creating
2. Barbara __________________________
that she will be stepping down.
• A. has informed me
• B. informed me
• C. informed
3. I __________________________
worry about that if I were you.
• A. didn't
• B. wouldn't
• C. will not
4. I'm not sure if they will be able
______________ from these losses.
• A. to rebound
• B. rebound
• C. rebounding
5. I'm not sure if they can
_____________ you that information.
• A. give
• B. to give
• C. giving
6. They announced last month that they
_____ their relationship with Microsoft.
• A. scale back
• B. would have been scaling back
• C. would scale back
7. The meeting _______ if John hadn't
arrived at the last moment.
• A. would have been called off
• B. will have been called off
• C. called off
8. The company was charged with
____________ deceptive claims in its
• A. making
• B. to make
• C. make
9. The bank is _______________ onethird of its branches.
• A. trying to sell
• B. selling
• C. going to sell
10. You always have to make
________ with prospective employers.
• A. eye contact
• B. eyes
• C. chat
11. What do you do? I work ________.
• A. by advertising
• B. in advertising
• C. advertising
12. A ________ is an outside company
with whom your company has a
• A. bender
• B. vendor
• C. lender
13. IBM provides a variety of
networking ________ for its clients.
• A. salutes
• B. solvents
• C. solutions
14. If you own a lot of stock in a
company, you are considered one of
its major ________.
• A. share keepers
• B. share takers
• C. shareholders
15. In business, ________ is either a period
when some kind of machinery isn't working, or a
• A. downtime
• B. down period
• C. sleep time
16. One of our corporate objectives is to
develop ________ relationships with key
• A. static
• B. strategic
• C. strategy
17. You have to be less competitive
and more ________.
• A. cooperating
• B. cooperation
• C. cooperative
18. Our goal is to provide customers with
high-quality products at ________ prices.
• A. competitive
• B. complete
• C. competent
Rewrite these sentences using the
beginning of the new sentence given!
• 1. ICBM are going to make 3,500 employees
• 2. We floated the company on the stock
market yesterday to great success.
• 3. ‘Last year we gave a dividend to our
shareholders of 25p per share,’ said the CEO.
• 4. ‘As soon as we noticed the problem we
took action,’ said the spokesperson.