& your Library
Scott Kehoe,Advisor - Technology Specialist
Massachusetts Library System (MLS),Waltham, Mass.
866-627-7228 x308 / email@example.com / www.masslibsystem.org
IM me on AIM - scottatmls
links for this workshop and more @: delicious.com/bibliotechy/gadgets
Scott’s websites on related topics @:
Digital Media & the Library - www.nmrls.org/ce/digitalmedia.htm
Scott’sTechTips / STT blog- www.nmrls.org/ce/stt/
Been to the “record store” lately?
Where’s the music?
U.S. kids begin using ...
• computers by 5 1/2
• video game consoles by 6
• digital cameras by 8
NPD Group study - Insights , June 2007
Bertelsmann (Germany) > Ballantine, Bantam, Del Ray, Dell, Doubleday,
Fawcett, Knopf, Pantheon, Random House
CBS Corp > Simon & Schuster, Pocket Books, The Free Press, Scribner
Disney > Hyperion, Marvel Comics
Hachette Book Group (France) > Little, Brown & Company
Holtzbrinck Publishing Group (Swiss) > Henry Holt, Macmillan, St. Martin’s
News Corp > Harper Collins
Pearson PLC (U.K.) > Addison-Wesley, Dorling Kindersley, Grosset & Dunlap,
Penguin, Prentice Hall, Viking
Riverdeep (Ireland) > Houghton-Mifﬂin, Reed Elsevier
Scholastic > Arthur A. Levine Books, Grolier
Time-Warner > DC Comics
Publishing = Big Media & Multi-National Corps.
DRM = Digital Rights Management
DRM is software built into the individual ebooks titles
DRM is software built into the e-readers like the Kindle, iPhone, iPod Touch
DRM knows where it is allowed to play & where it isn’t!
Most ebook formats used by Amazon.com, iTunes, Audible.com, and OverDrive
use built-in DRM components. (Exception: MP3 audio format)
DRM is why you can’t use an iPod with most OverDrive audiobooks
DRM is the norm for commercial legally purchased and licensed digital
audiobooks, ebooks, Movies & TV shows.
But not music. Apple iTunes & most commercial digital music vendors no longer
use DRM. Current music CDs do not have DRM.
Industry “experimentation” uncertain how to make gobs of money
Choices for consumers many, free or pricey, confusing, incompatible
Choices for libraries few, no sure bets, confusing, incompatible
Mobile devices iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Nintendo DSi, Sony Reader
WiFi cell phones, smart phones, music players, gaming, e-readers
E-Book readers OverDrive, K-12 market, Apple iPad & tablets
cheaper devices iPhone 8GB: June 2007 = $600, June 2010 = $99
mobile APPS as content delivery system
software smart phones/touch screen hand-held devices
What’s an App?
• Apps = programs that perform one task or
related tasks on a portable device / smart phone.
• App Examples = calendar, address book, stocks, weather,
Google Maps, Facebook, Texas Hold’Em ...
• Mobile devices using Apps:
iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Palm Treo & Pre
Windows Phone 7
• New Word Alert! “app phone” (I ﬁrst spotted on Twitter Nov.1, 2009)
An App in Action
Accessing the New York Times
1: Press NYTimes icon 2: Choose your section 3: Font size, email, save
Scott’s Ideal Library App
• access my patron record
• renew & reserve items
• view my overdue &
• search catalog
• download e-books,
audiobooks & video
directly to my device
• IM with a Librarian
• e-paper: ﬂexible, ultra-thin
- soon: wireless, color, cheap
• Seattle Post-Intelligencer
• Boston Globe Reader
• PC Magazine
• Academic Text Books
• law, science, medicine
• K-12 market
• large-format e-readers
• Kindle DX
e-readers & e-books
•Textbooks - Academic (it’s happening) / K-12 (not yet)
•hand-held devices - iPhone, Droid, etc.
•tablets (multi-use devices) - iPad, etc.
•Sony Reader, nook & nookcolor, OverDrive, and your Library!
Kindle 6” wiﬁ - $139 / 3G - $189
Kindle DX 9 1/2”- $379
online via WiFi or 3G cell network, no docking to PC
The Amazon Kindle
• Don’t shoot the messenger
• Publishers & Authors demand DRM
• Kindle is both hardware & software
•The future is apps ...ask Amazon.
• iPhone, iPad,Android, BlackBerry,Windows 7
Apple iPad - FusionGarage JooJoo - Amazon Kindle DX - Sony Reader Daily Ed. - Phillips iRex - B&N Nook
$300$379 out of
• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sells 4.7 million copies in ﬁrst 24 hours (Nov. 2009)
Generates $1 Billion in 2 months / 10 million copies in U.S. so far (March 2010)
>>Academy Award winning Titanic generates $1 billion in 3 months
• 25 million unique players
• 53% of all American adults play video games
• 81% of 18-29 year olds play video games
• 21% adult gamers play every day
• 36% of age 65+ gamers play everyday
• 66% of parents with children under 18 play games
• 2% of gamers overall / 11% teens visit virtual worlds (e.g. Second Life)
• 9% of gamers overall / 21% teens play MMOGs
(Massive Multiplayer Online Games: World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars)
• Gamer Proﬁle:
55% male 56% urbanites
57% college educated 62% annual income $50,000+
no signiﬁcant ethnic differences among game players
Who’s got Game?
Pew Internet & American Life Surveys
Report, Sept. 2008 & Data Memo, December 2008
• Sunday newspaper sales ﬂyers!
Best Buy, Staples,Target,Wal-Mart
• Boston Globe – see Monday’s Business &Technology section
• also at: http://www.boston.com/business/technology
• New York Times - David Pogue’s weekly columns & reviews
• Pogue’s columns are also FREE online at:
• Wall Street Journal – Walt Mossberg’s weekly columns & reviews
• Mossberg’s columns are also FREE online at:
Where to get the info?
Where to get the info?
Web sites with RSS feeds
• Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki - ideas on what’s worked and what’s being tried out in
libraries, not just technology topics! - www.libsuccess.org/
• Pew Internet & American Life Project - easy-to-read, succinct reports on all aspects internet use by
Americans - www.pewinternet.org
• engadget - breaking news & photos of latest gadgets - engadget.com/
• ars technica - all aspects of technology & science, informative & witty - arstechnica.com
• CNET Buzz Out Loud - daily - bol.cnet.com
• NPR Technology & Popular Culture podcasts - weekly - www.npr.org/rss/podcast
• David Pogue videos, NewYorkTimes technology columnist - weekly - pogue.blogs.nytimes.com
Where to get more
info from Scott
• Scott’s gadget, webware, and all-things digital blog: STT
• Scott's del.icio.us techy & gadget bookmarks:
• Scott’s all-things digital media website:
• These slides online (for sharing) at Slideshare:
• Scott Kehoe,Advisor - Technology Specialist
1-866-627-7228 x308 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Masslibsystem on: