What is Information
And why does it matter?
Information Literacy is…
• "A set of abilities requiring
individuals to recognize when
information is needed and have the
ability to locate, evaluate, and use
effectively the needed information."
Recognize Information Need
1. What exactly do you need to
2. Why do you need to know it?
The answers to these questions will
guide your search!
• Determine the best search tools
• Develop good search strategies
• Don’t be afraid to ask for help!
• Is the source reliable?
• Is the information accurate and up-
• Always ask questions of any source!
• Use information to support
thesis and conclusions
• Present clearly and effectively
• Cite properly
The Information Literate
Information literate people find
and use information competently
Information literacy is a valuable
IL at Springfield College
IL is a general education competency.
Skills embedded across curriculum.
Babson Library provides instruction
and support for all information
literacy efforts on campus.
Babson Library can help!
Information Desk: Call us at (413)
748-3315 or toll-free at 1-800-730-
Email/call either your department’s
library liaison or Susan Bigelow for